Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

7 month update

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello fellow Spineys, I used to frequent this board and I do still check in and read mostly. These boards are cyclical, with groups of Spineys going through things together, then fading away as they get better. I know the positive stories always gave me hope, so I wanted to post my update in hopes that it encourages others.

I am 7 months post-op PLIF and posterior-lateral fusion L4-5. It was a long difficult ride for sure, but I made it through. I was off work for 15 weeks, I am a registered nurse in mother-baby. I am tolerating my job well. I am very cautious with my back and using good body mechanics. I know my job is probably not the best for a Spiney, so I am keeping my eyes open for something in the neonatal area which would be more Spiney friendly. I went to PT for 6 weeks before returning to work and it really helped to improve my core strength.

My back is mostly pain free now. It does ache if I do a lot of bending and housecleaning, etc. I recently moved and that was a stress on it, but I managed to do okay. I do have a farely constant tight feeling in my SI joints, more of an anoyance than pain. I occasional take a darvocet if it is flared up. My xrays show fusion progressing nicely although not yet complete. I go back in June for my next check up. I am still using my bone growth stimulator, although I occassionally forget, woops ;) I will be glad to be done with that thing, I have 2 months left with it.

So, just wanted to shed some positive light. I am glad I went through with the surgery as my hip/leg pain is gone. I do though believe that we are forever changed by surgery, but that is not bad. The alternative is worse, staying the same. I always say once a Spiney always a Spiney. We just have to stay cognisant of our limitations and needed precautions. I wish everyone successful outcomes and decreased pain. Take care Spineys, >:D< :X Cali-Sue

• Thanks for posting with an update, and glad to hear you are doing well! I'm about 7 weeks out and continue to progress too, I'm back to work Monday (yikes!) but I have a desk job, so I really commend you for continuing as a nurse, keeping up with a physical job. You are strong indeed :)))

You have posted lots of valuable info and thoughtful points of view, I know for one I learned alot from you before going into my surgery. Thank you.
  • Glad things are going well. Happy for you. Thanks for sharing
  • I'm so glad to hear that you are doing so well! It's been a long, long road though, huh?

I just wanted to add to your positive note. My surgery was the end of last June. I was beginning to think I would never feel any better, but I started water pt (at my request to my doc) and can really tell a difference. I was having such horrible muscle spasms, and they have really gotten better. I'm also walking at a local mall 3 times a week. The more active I am, the less pain I have in the long run. Like someone on here said the other day, "Motion is the lotion." So true.

So, take heart fellow spineys!
  • Thanks Melissa, I am glad I was helpful to you. So many Spineys encouraged me along my journey as well. I wish you success with your return to work. Take it easy and try not to do too much. >:D< Cali-Sue
  • Thank-you, I wish you great success with your surgery. If there is anything I can help with let me know.
    >:D< Cali-Sue
  • Hi Joy, yep the water is the best. I went to the local YMCA both before and after my surgery. It was what kept me going before surgery and definitely helped in my recovery. I went from 4 weeks post-op until 15 weeks when I went back to work. Now the Y closed here. It is going bankrupt or something, odd. Very sad, I met a lot of nice people there who really relied on the pool for their health. Well now I have my own pool, at least when it warms up I can use it :) See you on Facebook, >:D< Cali-Sue