Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had my acdf on march 5th 2009

bloosman1bbloosman1 Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in New Member Introductions
Things are going well... I HATE the neck brace though.

• Hi Blossman,

Welcome to spine-health. What level or levels did you have operated on? Where you injured or just wake up one day with neck pain? There are several different forums here that may come in handy. You may want to check out the neck forum where many individuals are in the same situation including myself. Good to things are going ok with you. What type of neck brace or you wearing. I used a miami J but I must be odd cause I was rather comfortable in it. Look forward to reading more of your post and welcome to spine-health.
  • I had a C6-7 acdf, I had arm, neck and shoulder pain since last may (right arm), I had a MRI that sowed a "myelomalacia" at c6. So the NS decided it was time to fix it, I made him wait for three weeks as I live alone and wanted to get my life in order before the procedure.
    I am wearing a DeRoyal proline collar....
    http://www.deroyal.com/ProductsAndServices/ProductCatalog/Default.aspx?div=PC&cat=PC-Bracing&section=Spine Bracing#YnJvd3NlfFBDfFBDLUJyYWNpbmd8U3BpbmUrQnJhY2luZyUzZlBvc3QrT3ArQ29sbGFycyUzZlBDLUJyYWNpbmctWFRXRXh0ZW5kV2VhckNvbGx8MHw=

link above. I feel locked up in it, but onthe good side, I was walking home from the store yesterday and fell!! It protected my neck well. That was emberrasing.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. good luck on your recovery! please, be very careful when you are up on two feet!! :D keep us informed. Jenny :)
  • Definately going to be more cautious on my walks! I know that it's a matter of time and patience, and I'll be up and raisin' cain again!
  • I had c6-7 done on feb4th, i have alot of problems but i was wondering did your arm pain go away after surgery? they say most or sometimes people wake up with no more arm pain. I still have mine.my disc was actually protruding into my cord more then half way. so not only did or do i have the pain but I have myeolopathy. I go back to Madison on thur this week.
  • Hi bloosman1.....glad that you are doing so good. I had acdf C5-7 on March 17th so it will be 4 weeks this Tuesday. I am in the soft collar but hate it! It is hot and itchy. When I am sitting in the chair and around the house I have taken it off for a short period of time, but I make sure not to move my neck. Feels like it just needs some air. I have been on the treadmil for a few weeks now and do about 30 minutes and when I do go outside I am very careful picking up my feet! I think it is all about patience and I know how hard that is. I am not much for sitting around the house watching tv. It will be nice to get back to normal! Take care and get well!
  • Playing guitar, and I'm not brave enough to strap one on yet, but soon! I won't know about the hard collar coming off until the 23rd, They said maybe a soft collar after that... My arm pain was gone the day after surgery.
  • I am going to my first post-op appointment today... I feel good (almost giddy) about it. My hope is to LOSE the hard collar! (even to trade for a soft one!)
    Things are still going well, my apartment is a shambles, (I am single) and I need to go get groceries! This not driving sucks!
    ---J--- :''(
  • The doc says no more hard collar after my x-ray gets cleared on the 26th! I go to soft collar as needed and drive short distances! Back to part time with restrictions April 16th! B)
  • I boned it... I had a C5-6 acdf...sorry, I had the x-ray tech count it for me!
  • You'll be amazed at how well they control pain!
  • Well the hard collar came off yesterday and I go back to work on the 27th (part time with restrictions). I feel so much better than I did pre op!!!! I am also now a non smoker (thank all that is holy). I quit the day of surgery. Don't get me wrong, there is muscle soreness, but it's okay compared to befor the surgery...I truly believe I was at "the door"!!! I can wear the soft collar as needed. I was really blessed, good surgeon, good care, good friends! I wish the same for all of you!!
  • I am okay, some days are tough, and some are good. Still better than before the surgery :-C . My advice is, don't expect miracles. Do what your doc says!