Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

kimmeamkkimmeam Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am going to try my first accunpunture treatment today. My Dr has prescribed 1-2 treatments per weeks for 6 weeks. He is not all that certain it will help but I am willing to try.
My question is, is anyone else has tried this & what kind od expectations I should have? Does it hurt? I know the EMG testing with the needles really hurt.
I am hoping this will help. At least give me some relief.

• I personally have not tried this but here is a link where others had been discussing it. http://www.spine-health.com/forum/alternative-treatments/acupuncture

Here is also a good article that may help as well. http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/alternative-care/acupuncture-considerations

i look forward to reading how it went for you as i contemplating giving it a go as well.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    I have had over 30 acupuncture treatments... The needles do not hurt at all. You will hardly notice them being put in.
    However, I would advice not to start playing or moving one of the needles after its in. A couple of times during the treatment, I was bored and I just moved a needle a bit, that did hurt, not the needle but more of a quick throb pain.

I have found that while these treatments have been successful, the 'relief' you get form them is not always long lasting.

The other thing, when you come home from the treatment, try you best to remain calm and idle for a couple of hours. That will help with the overall effects.

Good luck
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Give a try to acupuncture, but don't expect miracles. About two years ago a single treatment eased up my sciatic pain right away. A year later I had two treatment for essentially the same symptoms and they did not help at all. Eventually I had a lumbar fusion and that did the trick. So, depending on what is your problem, you may or may not find relief from acupuncture.

Good luck,

• I had my first treatment yesterday. It was not painful at all. She used 15 needles & concentrated on my neck choulders & headaces & a few for the lower back. It was a relaxing experience.
    Yes Ron, I found out quickly not to move. As she was still placing the needles I wiggled my toes. OUCH! That stung.
    I did not notice any relief. Maybe next time instead of going straight to work afterward, I will go home & relax. She did tell me that touching my upper back was like touching a board of wood. I will go 2 x per week for 6 weeks. She is confident that within a few weeks I will have some reief.
    Even if it's not long lasting, right now I will take any bit of relief that I can get!
    The only discomfort was lying face down with not much support for my arms. They were tingling & had to move around to relieve that.I am looking forward to my next treatment & praying for a bit of relief.
  • i did accupuncture after surgery for my pain.I was still taking my nerve pain medication and wanted to try and decrease my pain and get off them.She did accupuncture and cupping everytime i went and by the end of my treatments i was off all my meds.and had almost no pain.I hope its as successful for you.