Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical SCS trial ???

WramblerWWrambler Posts: 1,588
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Pain Management
I know I have been posting down in Mind/body under depression. (I'm kind of a nut job) L) :D

I also try to find humor in whatever I can, so be that what it is, I've got a couple of ponderings I want to ask in a more direct manner. Not buried in some other post.

I'm a little past 48 hours into my trial. The single lead was placed on Wednesday at about 10:00 am. It took the PM 3 holes and about 4-6 attempts to get it in. He did some massive tissue manipulation as I have a wrong way dip in my spine and the clearances are very close making things very hard to work through.

Once it was placed they tested coverage and while they did not get "full coverage of my bad shoulder it was close.
Now I wonder what if anything others have experienced with cervical trials. Mine is VERY positional making it frustrating to get the full effect. If I set it and things are in the sweet spot. It is truly wonderful! I am in love. However I can not always find that sweet spot :(
My ponderance is that with a permanent version this will go away as things "scar" down. I know I am not the only one to go thorugh this, so, I need some input and thoughts on how much postional differences remain and for how long with the permanent version.

I can't help but feel some fear, what sane person would't carry a little fear and trepidation going into this?

I can't shake my thoughts that what if I let this happen and it does not work or something goes wrong. The other side is of course the thought that how can I possibly not do this? AAAAaaaaaaahhhh! OK, deepbreath. OK, I got it.

I want to think that this may indeed be MY answer. Not perfect, but it appears this will allow me to become more like what I used to be. I'm pretty sure the coverage I have will very likely allow me to work through my pains and while not eliminating them it will allow me to toss the Norco and manage with ITC's, perhaps, Neurontin, etc,

Is that not enough of a reason to battle thorugh my fears of surgery #5? :?

• With my c-spine SCS I am able to manage my pain with Neurontin and Zanaflex (for the muscle spasticity). I have bilateral issues with my neck, shoulders, arms and hands. 2 percutaneous leads inserted through C7-T1 and threaded upwards to achieve the best coverage possible.

I had this implanted on May 22 of 2008 and have been very thrilled with the results. I was warned ahead of time that a c-spine SCS has the tendency to be very positional. Over time it has become less positional as my body adapted to it and I have adjusted it for the most optimum coverage. I do not think it will ever be non-positional.

However, with the coverage I get with it and the benefit of it kicking off natural endorphins, I would not want to be without it! I will take semi-positional over not having it any day! Being able to "treat" my own pain and body, being able to be "in control", makes a world of difference to me.

Like anything else, it takes time to "hone your skills" with the use of the SCS. I know I have told you that I have the Medtronic RestoreULTRA which has the greatest ability of all brands of SCS's to be "patient adjustable". I honestly feel that if I did not have this ability to make my own adjustments (including moving the stimulation contact points along both leads) I would not be happy with the SCS or would not be as thrilled.

I am a very independent person and being able to have control and not be dependent upon a company rep or doctor to make constant fine tune adjustments is right up my alley.

I am capable of moving the stimulation to different areas of my neck, shoulders, arms, hands and fingers. I can leave the stimulation running in the smaller two fingers and back side of one arm and also stim the top of my shoulders and side of my neck. It is a very flexible unit.

The only fear and trepidation I carried going into this, was the fear that it might not work. When I felt the incredible sense of "longing" each time the rep would switch the unit off to make an adjustment, I knew how much it was going to do for me. The feeling of a balloon being deflated, is about the best way to describe having the unit switched off.

If you have any doubts about getting the permanent implant, talk to those around you and see how much of a difference they notice with the trial. My husband told me that "the old me" was back, the moment I walked out of the pain management clinic. A dear friend told me she could hear it on the phone how much difference there was. I still doubted it and switched the trial unit off for a few hours. When I switched it back on and felt so much difference in a few minutes, I knew I had found a way to battle my pain.

Is it perfect? Nope. Do I regret it? Nope. Would I do it again? Yup. Would I recommend a c-spine SCS even though it's somewhat positional? Absolutely!

Hang in there,