Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just had my 6 week checkup from my surgery.

JakotsuJJakotsu Posts: 212
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
A bit disappointed I saw the PA and not the surgeon being how this is only the 2nd appointment since I had surgery.

But they did x-rays and she said I was fusing very good, could easily see it on the x-ray and that in 6 weeks I should be off ALL restrictions (3 month mark).

I am also done with physical therapy now, the PA said I can go if I want to but it is up to me, as she put it the way I am now she doesnt forsee any more significant benefit from it.

Right now I have to come to some decisions:

She said I can return to work on lite duty:
No lifting more then 10-15 pounds
No pushing/pulling etc.

Being a floor nurse that will not work for me. But I could go back on a desk job but at the risk of getting STUCK with that job and not being able to go back to the floor as a nurse.

I am going to go talk to my Chief nursing officer Monday and see what I should do.

I may just stay out of work for the next 6 weeks and then go back but thats only if they will let me keep my job, as then I could return with no restrictions. I have been out since January 5th.

Just can't decide to take it easy another 6 weeks or return to work, shes left it up to me.

• Wonderful report. Good for you! Can't advise you on the job except to say you'll have to take it pretty easy if you go back now. I know you are young and resilient but.....don't overdo too early on! Keep us posted.
  • I can't count how many people have posted here or have told me that they went back to work too early and were very sorry they didn't wait, the most recent being downinmyheart in the thread On again, off again.

When you're all rested at home and you're feeling great you think you can go back to work because it was easy enough before everything started, but it's a whole new ballgame after surgery. It's sometimes harder than you would imagine.

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

Also, congratulations on a good recovery. That rocks!

• Jakotsu - great to hear you are progressing!!

I saw my surgeon last week for my 6 week post op and he also eased my restrictions. I'm allowed to lift up to 15 lbs, he said okay to stretch but limbs only, basically leave my "core" alone for now. Bend if needed, use my knees, etc.

So, I'm doing all of this and definitely less achy in my limbs, but having more frequent back ache (not pain). So moving more and having the wider range of motion is making me nervous!

Do you or anyone else have thoughts on this at the 6 week post op timeframe? I should also note I am taking only one Tylenol in the morning, so almost no meds and that of course could be the difference. Are you off meds too?
  • I've been off all meds for over 5 weeks. Havnt had any pain since that first week of surgery, was very lucky with that.

Ive been doing stretches and all in therapy past month with no issue.

I am just thinking hard on what to do. I may see about going part time or less at first and ease it up.
  • I hope you spend more time off to get better as even on the desk you're sitting alot. But whenever you feel ready. Good luck and that's great news about your healing. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • My second appt is on March 26th. Been feeling Ok, but not great. Still some back pain. I am not sure where you live, but nurses are in short supply everywhere around here.
  • Its so awesome to hear your doing so well. You are a bone growing machine.

Tough decision you have to make.

I definitely feel a lot better at 10 weeks post op, but I still feel like I need more time to be 100 per cent.

Hopefully your chief nursing office, will be sympatheic to your cause Jak.

Just remember no matter what, your back is a huge investment now, ya gotta protect it. :)))

• Well I went to my CNO today and human resources, and I can not come back lite duty since it did not occur there, which I am actually fine with.

They let me take a personal leave of absence for the 6 weeks so I will maintain benefits at no extra cost to me and I will return at that time with no restrictions.

So 6 more weeks of taking it easy and bordom lol :)