Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

slow slow slow

why is this site so darn slow??? my computer is not slow but the pages take forever to load!!!

• Try ad-ware maybe you got a little bug. I bought firewall virus protection but will not again. There's avg also free. good luck Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    variables when it comes to identifying computer performance problems:

1- What type of computer do you use? What is the RAM?
    2- What Browser are you using
    3- Do you run a Spyware and/or Antivirus Program?
    4- DSL? Cable? Dialup?

Any these can cause some problems. The biggest problem I have seen has been members with Internet Explorer Release 6. The newer functions in Spine-Health really work best with any release of Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorere Release 7.
    I have done some testing and with IE6 you will see some performance problems as well as strange display problems
    Let me know what time of day you see this, what you are also running on your machine, etc.
    The more information you can provide me, the better chances I will have in isolating your problem.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I don't have that problem at all, but I keep my internet cache clean and remove ad-ware and cookies from time to time that seem to slow down computers if you have many.
  • its not my computer
    its the site
    since i haven't logged in for sometime i haven't had any spyware either- maybe you should try and make sure that your site isn't just downloading adwares etc onto peeps computers when they click on it!!!!!!!!!!!

i do not have this problem with ANY other sites!!
    the site, I would be getting many more reports of performance problems. The site is running just fine right now, I have used three different computers, different browsers and it is all running without problems.

Please again, what level is your browser?
    That has been the biggest problem we have seen

No one has reported any performance problem. When we have had problems, I do get many reports

Please help me to try to figure out what is going on with your setup. Even if you are not having problems with other sites, that does not isolate things. XHTML and newer web functions require the latest levels of browsers. Without that you can run into problems. Many sites run older XHTML
    functions, so you may not see any slowdowns.

I would like to help you, so please help me understand your environment , your computer, your browser, the questions I asked before. That could help us understand what is going on
  • Ron,
    Within about the past 45 minutes or so it started running really slow for me as well. I'm running in safari on a dsl line. All of the other screens i have open are running fine on other sites. I have the same windows opened that i have opened for the hour. It seems it about 30 sec delay on the page. The page starts to load and then pauses even getting some white screens for about 5 seconds while it turns the page.
  • Ron,
    I'm running slow only on this site..everywhere else online the sites are loading fast for me. I'm running internet explorer, and I'm on broadband.
    A number of other people have commented on the performance of this site. In order to really track this down, we need the following information from those that do experience problems:

1- What type of computer are you using? Desktop Laptop?
    2- What Operating system are you using ? XP, Vista, etc
    3- How much RAM is installed on your machine?
    4- What browser are you using and what level is it ?
    5- How do you access the Internet
    6- Times you see any performance problem.

In the past when there has been a Spine-Health performance problem, it is widespread and was something coming from changes to the site or the server.
    What seems common is that people have stated that they only see this problem using Spine-Health and not other sites.
    I have stated this before that there are known problems with different browsers. Spine-Health takes advantage of many new XHTML functions, CSS Style sheets and images.
    All of this requires the correct level of browser.

I have a number of computers at home that I use for various types of testing. Each computer uses a different browser.
    When the first post was made about this, I checked all of my accesses to Spine-Health. I do see some page-load problems when I run Internet Explorer Release 6. With IE7 and any level of Mozilla Firefox I do not see any problems.

The more information you can give us, the better chances of isolating a problem would be better
  • Last night the site was dog slow. Tonight it is much better. Last night it was hanging up calling stats.spine-health.com. I watched it lockup in my browser. This has happened before. With adjuggler and sharethis. Basically all the "tracking" overhead this site calls to gather information on people coming to the site.

If you run Firefox and have the status showing on the bottom of the browser. You can watch the webpages getting cycled. And see the ones it gets hung on.
    and I've reported it to development. There initial analysis is that everything is optimized, there have been no changes in any pages, the servers are running fine, all the stats come back above the waterline....
    But still, what matters is for the person on the other end.
    When you see it is slow, its slow, even for a while.
    I have run many of Firefox web analysis tools and they are more than flying, much better than most other sites that run with so many style sheets.
    If I didnt know, I would say it could based on server locations and if there were more than one, but that isnt it.
    Run some of the Firefox tools over a period of time and the average comes out very fast.
  • I am running Firefox 3.0.7 on a Windows XP desk top with 2 GB of RAM. During the same time the others are reporting that the site was slow and hanging up, I was experiencing the same thing from here. All other sites I was accessing at the time were running just fine.

Today it seems to be running smoothly.

like that, I think network delays or server problems. There is no question from time to time, that this site as well as any other web site will show performance related problems.
    What turns bad is when those problems linger on. Its one thing to have a slow down but then it is fine later on. When the performance problem stays and stays is when there is something serious at one end or another.
    What is and has always been confusing, in my 34+ years working with computers, main frame or personal computers, is isolating performance problems. The one sure fire way is to capture it while its happening. Even when someone hear reports a problem and an hour or so later we look at it, the symptoms, the reasons, etc, could be long gone.
    At my job, performance problems were never really closed, it was an ongoing effort. What one performance glitch is closed today, could be the same thing happening next week. Keeping a historical trend is just one of the ways in isolating this.
    I know, I have repeatedly stated that I have not seen any problems. In the past when I have seen problems, I've provided the details in which development was able to isolate the problem. Just because I am not seeing any performance problem, I do not want to give the impression to members here that the problems do not exist. One of the biggest attributes to any web site is availability and response. If those two items are not constant, no matter what the content of the site may be, it will soon lose visitors.
  • I agree. Since I am in a different part of the world, there are times when I get performance problems from servers in between, not to mention slowdowns during peak usage times in different countries. It's amazing how fast things are, when the majority of the US is asleep! :-)

China and Japan consume a large amount of bandwidth while up and running.

You're right though ... when a site exhibits delays or glitches, it stands a great chance of losing visitors.

Overall Spine Health seems to keep up.
  • Right now. The past 2 nights during what I consider to be high volume times this site has crawled at a snails pace for me. I'll check again tonight. IE7.0 windows vista. Plenty of RAM, no other site issues. I do periodically have issues with ALL sites, but that comes me from living on the outskirts and reaching the limits of signal from my service provider. it is called Last Mile Wireless for a good reason (I am on the last inch of the miles it covers, lol)

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
    In the company that I have been working for for over 34 years, the past 10 years I spent looking at performance and the past 5 directly working with customers to look at performance impacts.
    These were mainframe customers, all in the transaction mode.
    We developed and marketed an Operating system that most people have no idea what it is, but it outperforms any other mainframe OS over 500 to 1. We had to. Our customers were Airlines, Hotels, Cars, but the one that counts was NYPD 911. Thats when performance problems could mean the difference between life and death. So, here on so many websites, delays are annoying, but is it life threatening?
    The PC site and it servers creates so many variations.
    When someone develops a web site and its pages, decisions have to be made as to

- Where do you load pages and how
    - What markup language are you using
    - And what features of the markup language do you select
    - Where do you place images and what kind
    - Do you use CSS Style sheets
    - And if you use CSS Style sheets, do you load them upfront, put them on the back end or what?
    - And the list goes on and on.

This is why sometimes when you are on one site (ie Spine-Health) and you see delays yet on other sites (ie My Yahoo or MSN) things are fine. Why? Well Spine-Health has so many different CSS Style sheets and pages that have to be loaded. Its not just the Patient forums, its the entire site that has to be loaded. When something like MyYahoo, which has a lot, but almost zero style sheets and basic
    gif images, sure, they will load faster every time. And when those sites are slow, then I can bet you that the more complicated sites like Spine-Health will be slower.

Still the bottom line is delivering the product to the customer. In the company I worked for, Customer Service was the Number one Priority and I took that to heart.
    And in this environment, there are multiple customers. the doctors, the sponsors and to me, the most important the members. If you are not happy with response time here, you will go elsewhere. I am not in a direct position to make changes, but I will promise everyone, that I am in the position to work with the folks that can make changes.

The more I know about problems, the more I can get details, the better chances we all have in making this site faster and faster for everyone for the maximum time frames.

• I think that there was a blockage in a pipe, but Joe the Plumber must have got it fixed ;) ...or was it Bob the Builder?

C, you are absolutely right, those of us in this part of the world have the Pacific Ocean to deal with and particularly in the mornings when 'our world' is waking up and starting business those pipes slow right down for a while.
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator