Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI then MRI with Dye

HaylieCatOwnerHHaylieCatOwner Posts: 117
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My NS has scheduled a double MRI for me next Wednesday -- the first will be a normal one, and the second one with dye injected in my vein via IV. On the prior MRI that was done last August before my surgery, it apparently showed not only the herniated disk at L5-S1 (that a MicroD was done on), but also a protrusion at L4-L5, which the NS didn't tell me about. They think that one may be what is causing me pain now. It also had a tear.

What can I expect from the MRIs? Any side effects from the dye? Also, is it possible to have a microD on two levels, or will the back be too unstable?

• Just think of it as one long MRI. It will be just like having a regular MRI...and then part way through they will inject the dye and continue on with the MRI. Most people do not feel much when the dye is injected. It is something different from the stuff they inject with a Cat scan that can make one feel hot or feel a rush.

There are different ways of doing the dye. When I've had it done, they start a small IV line, and then when it is time to inject the dye, they pull you out of the machine, put the dye in, and shove you back into the machine! It is mostly painless. Most people do not have a reaction to the dye, although I suppose there is always a chance that someone will be affected!

It is possible to have multiple discectomies. It just depends on the specifics of your situation and your surgeon. Some will recommend a fusion almost automatically; others are more willing to take a chance.
  • All of my MRI's were done in 2 segments. I suppose the MRI's themselves freaked me out enough that the IV dye injections were a non-issue. I assumed that most MRI's were done this way.

I wish you well, hope you find a solution to your problem.
  • In my case, I had a reaction to the dye.
    Even tho I was only wearing one of those hospital gowns, t-shirt and undergarment, I got really hot and antsy.

There was a fan running in the tube, but I still overheated.

Had a discectomy on L4-L5 and when I had another at L5-S1, they touched up L4-L5 again.
    No prob.

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008