Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Trying to cope with shooting back pains while taking care of sick child

MingMMing Posts: 1,127
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello My Spiney Friends,

I haven't been on here as much lately and thought I'd stop by (since I can't get to sleep anyway) and update you on what's been going on with me the last couple of weeks.

My poor 6yr old son has been very sick for 2 weeks. He's been home from school the whole time and to docs 3 times already. He has a combination pnemonia/asthma/allergies and we are waiting for test results to come back to see if he has whooping cough. I should find out by Tuesday. This poor kid has been so sick and on so many medicines and all he does is cough non-stop for 2 weeks straight.

In addition to taking care of him, my pain level has elevated to a constant 8-9 even when I take my meds and break thru meds. It's been since Tuesday when I had to hold him down while the doc took 2 cultures from his nose. I keep getting these shooting pains in the middle of my lower back. Sometimes it when I move and other times it seems to happen when I am just sitting there. I used to have these years ago when I went to chiro and he called them shooters. I don't know if it is quick muscle spasms or what but it takes the breath right out of me when they hit. It happens while I am driving and I have a hard time looking side to side or behind me when driving so I haven't been going anywhere unless my husband goes.

I think that sitting home and not going anyway has been causing some cabin fever to set in but it was nice and sunny today so I let my son go outside for about 15 minutes to get some fresh air and sunshine and I went out with him and watch him play with the neighbors dog. My son is starting to feel better now but it seems my back pain is getting worse and nothing seems to be touching the pain. My regular doc won't change my meds so I am hoping this new doc I meet on the 24th will be able to give me something. He is a neurosurgeon and have heard he's the best in our area.

Sorry this is so long. I am kind of rambling. Thanks for those who read this. I just wanted to updated those who may have been wondering where I've been. I've sent a couple of messages to others but nothing new from me.

• I'm relieved your son is getting better now. I know it's not easy taking care of a sick child when you're not well. Sorry I came upon your post late; I had my ESI yesterday and slepted most of the day. I hope it works this time.

Anyway, my daughter was sick from last week and it was rough. Last month I took her to the doctor's twice and she couldn't stop coughing either and has the asthma/allergy and bronchitis thing going on. Schools are like breeding pens for bacteria and viruses and no wonder kids catch everything.

Well, I hope you're able to take it easy and get much needed rest. How have you been? This cold/windy/wet weather has been horrible to me, and I'm sure to everyone else too.
  • Thanks for your reply and well wishes. It's hard taking care of a sick kid and still trying to take it easy and be cautious of the no BLT's. I don't ever think about that when I am taking care of my son. He's almost 50lbs and I don't think twice about holding him if I have to. Holding him down for the cultures was really tough and the doc knew about my back and asked if I was sure I could do it. I wanted to do it even though I knew it would strain my back cuz I wanted to be the one holding him while I was holding him down...if that makes any sense lol. My kids come first no matter how much I hurt or how sick I am.

Sorry to hear about your daughter. The doc said that there's been a lot of kids that haven't had to use their inhalers or breathing meds for years until the last couple of weeks.

I hope the ESI works for you. It's frustrating to be in pain constantly and not find something to help releive the pain.

Take care and hope you are doing well.
  • Oh Michelle!

I cant imagine trying to look after a sick child with BLT restrictions in place. It would be soooo difficult. I imagine you having to jump out of bed at all hours stumbling to find your sons room.

My friends daughter had whooping cough one time and it was agonizing to watch the poor thing cough, cough, cough, 'whoop' to try and inhale and then usually vomit.

Im thinking of you my friend and hoping your little man is improving and that you are able to 1) get enough rest yourself and 2) havent reinjured anything critical.

Keep us posted when you can--sending gentle healing hugs your way.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    the kids always come first with us. No matter how much pain we're in we'll be there for them. Sorry your son has been sick. And everyone else who posted. My son was also home from school for a week with all that stuff but he's a senior so not as much to care for...well not really. They're still babies when they're sick. At least they still want Mommy then. (Just like their daddy lol) I hope that you haven't hurt your back and that you're feeling better today. Try to take it easy if you can. Take care and feel better.
  • Thank you all for your comments and concerns. My son is doing better and hopefully will be back to school sometime this week. He's still not well enough to go back tomorrow as he still has that gagging cough just not as frequently plus we are waiting for his test results to come back.

It really is amazing how much us mothers' put our children first. No matter how bad I feel or how much pain I am in, I am a mother first. I want to be there to care for my kids when they need me.

My mother left me when I was little and I just can't imagine ever doing that. My kids are my life and I hate going 24 hours without my kids. I couldn't imagine ever having it bad enough where I had to walk away from them for years. You would have to pry my dead fingers off them first =))
  • My son, 6, had Flu A one week and an ear infection the next. Husband took him to the doctor the first time. I had to do it the second time because hubby had to work. The ped's office was great and offered to help me since I also had my 4 year old with me. I got the flu at the same time as my son. My doctor called in the RX so I didn't have to drag in two kids.

It's tough having kids and back problems. I forget that I have limits for lifting when they need to was their hands in a public restroom and they can't reach. One wrong move and I pay the price of days. Hubby scolds me but I'm mom first. I try to get creative and have them come to me and sit on the sofa but there's still that instinct.

Hope your back pain is better soon. I've been fighting with spasms all of post-op.
  • It's tough to resist holding them or picking them up like I used to. He's getting heavier now. I took him to docs for another followup and he gained 4lbs in 2wks cuz the steriods they put him in makes him want to eat constantly. He needed to put weight on anyway. I also have 3 baby cousins whom I love to peices. 2 are identical twin boys who are about 16 months and I love holding them and the other will be 3 in August and she loves her chele to pick her up. I call her Princess Nixie cuz she LOVES anything princess. When they see me they come running for chele to come pick them up and give them tons of hugs and kisses >:D< :* They are so stinkin cute. My son is a cuddler too, especially with his momma...he's my buddy bear :X It's just impossible to turn off that motherly instinct to pick them up until you've lifted them a couple of feet of the ground and then you hear that pop :''( and you can't move. That's happened a couple of times to me.
This discussion has been closed.