Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Don't want to go to bed

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:29 AM in Chronic Pain
During the days and early evenings I'm in quite a bit of pain. More so recently.
I take 50 mgs. of methadone and a hydrocodone for breakthrough.
I start the day with just 10 mg. and try to space them out as much as possible throughout the day. And most days I try to get by with only 40 mg.
The problem is the first 2 pills are spaced out pretty good. Then as the day goes on and the pain increases the spacing gets closer and they finally start to take the pain away in late evening. I know methadone builds and for me eventually will take away the pain. But I don't like starting the day out with 2 pills like pm Doc. suggests. Or move the spacing closer. Because I don't like the side effects.
But by late evening I don't want to go to bed even though I may be tired. Because I want to be awake and enjoy not being in pain. I'm not euphoric or high, but just close to being pain free.
But in the morning, if I've been able to sleep 8 hrs. I feel guilty because it's 8:30 or maybe later.
I could probably go to bed at 10 or 11:00 I just don't want to. So I live my life in guilt.
Good luck, Jim
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement

Comments

• I don't understand the purpose of spacing out the Methadone during the day. It's a long acting med and, when I took it, it worked most efficently taken twice a day at very routine intervals. You shouldn't have the peaks and valleys with it if taken like that. How exactly is it prescribed to be taken? I found that the closer I stuck with the schedule the less side effects I had as well.

The rest of it I really understand. I'm often awake with pain but when I have a night when my pain is lower I don't want to sleep either. Don't feel guilty about it, just ride the wave. It seems a no-win situation doesn't it? We feel guilty when we're in pain and when we're not. How about just accepting it and letting the guilt go? Oh, and when you do, let me know how you did it, okay? LOL

Griff

• I do the same thing.On the nights when my pain is less I stay awake longer and put off going to sleep.Sometimes I lay in bed and watch tv-especailly if Michael is off of work-he works nights,and sleeps during the day...so that helps me feel less guilty whenever I 'sleep in'.

I still feel a little guilty though-if only because I've let the day slip by.I feel like I'm losing the daylight.It makes no sense really because I'm not shirking any responsibilities-but I'm missing something.That's how I feel.

None of my business,but 8:30 is not late by my standards.You are probably a morning person and worked daylight shift for years-and maybe it's what you became used to.After many years of doing something-change can feel wrong even if there is nothing at all wrong with it.

You deserve some times to feel less pain,and I sure do understand not wanting to sleep through it.I think it's normal to feel that too because I mentioned it to my Dr and he totally understood.

It's hard letting go of the guilt,and weird-I feel the same way,but I'm trying to let it go.Who wouldn't understand wanting to sleep through what pain they could and being awake for the least of it though-makes sense to me.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Originally I was suppose to take 2 every 6 hrs. But I told the pm Doc. I couldn't handle the side effects.I asked him to cut it back to 5 and I would like to try and get by on 4. But most of the time that is not good enough pain coverage. I know that I would be best off to space them out evenly, but I'm always trying to get by on less. For me, the side effects are there at any amount.
    And your right I was a workaholic that started work very early in the morning. And like I said, sometimes it's later than 8:30 much later!
    Like my pain phych tells me. If you don't have anything to feel guilty about, you'll manufacture something. WHY??
    Thanks for the support,
    Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I got up at 11:45 am this morning, almost missed the morning totally. I used to fell guilty too, not anymore. When I am not working the next day I do what feels "right".
    I stay up till I feel like going to bed, often it is 1-2 am. I get up when I am "tired" of sleeping.

I don't know how methadone works best, but suggest you follow direction to the letter for a week or two and see if that helps sometimes the pain is not treated well if you attack it too late. Mayeb you are needing to hit it harder in the morning?

Don't place guilt on yourself for doing what feels best.
  • I thought I was the only one with this problem :D Unfortunatly, I can't take most of my pain meds during the day, because I don't go to work until 2:00 pm. When I get home at 11:00 pm, I take 2 Tramadol, 3 neurontin, & baclophen. Then my pain goes away, and I can relax. So I stay up late, sometimes until 2 or 3am, because I am finally pain free( relativly speaking, never totally. Then, when I plan on sleeping until 9:30-10:30, someone always calls me ~X( The only way I can be assured of no phone calls, is to mute the phone. I have never been able to ignore a ringing phone! Living by myself allows me to do this. Don't beat yourself up, let your body guide you.Your body needs sleep to try to repair damage. Take heart, if this is the worse thing you have to worry about, you are lucky! My husband always told me if there wasn't anything to worry about, I would make up something :))(
  • every 12 hours is best for long acting meds. there are no peaks or lows in analgesic effect. and this is how dr. recomends me taking them and works good. hope this is helpful
  • As you can see Jim, It is OK to do what feels good! I think we tend to forget this simple fact. We hurt so hard at times we lose the oversight on ourselves!

When we are kids and especially late teens we do what feels right! Who needs to sleep? Eh, forget about it! In fact my 18 year old son is curled up on a couch here at 3:56 pm becasue he stayed up all night at a friends house and he is on spring break and has no out of town plans. So, for this week he will simply be awake when he is awake and vice versa. He still remembers how this works!

Us old farts, please ignore if you are not really an old fart...anyway, we forget how to do this. We get beat into the awake and asleep thing and follow rules! I vote we forget this crap, quit our jobs and just to what feels good!
    Always...well, maybe most of the time...

I too ignore my pain meds all day and come home and take them. Then stay up till I feel ready to sleep. I hate days I have to work as I can't stay awak as long as I like.
    I am now on day 4 of my SCS trial and must go to work tomorow :( I am thoroughly bummed as I have enjoyed staying up till 2:00 AM these last 4 nights. alas, babylon...
  • Your body needs rest for pain & healing. The best way I handle this is to sleep when I can. I try every night to sleep a normal schedule, but toss and turn, get up off and on during the night. I finally get my best hours of sleep early morning, like after 4am. Then in the morning, I am in such a deep sleep, it's hard to get up earlier than 9am. So, you shouldn't feel guilty about your sleeping habits. We all dread trying to sleep in pain! I am on Morphine sulfate extended release every 12 hrs. For breakthrough pain I use Oxycontin 5mg. I still have quite a bit of pain. Yesterday I attempted to do some outdoor work with the nice weather, then took my grandson to the circus, & by 9pm I suffered! (and still am). It's so hard to live life doing nothing! I had yet another sleepless night! (up from 3am-6am). Take care, you're not alone.
    Amy
  • Ive took 50mg's of methadone for a long period before. it is a pretty good painkiller but the flaw I found with methadone is that it's not long acting on pain relief as advertised, atleast for me it wasnt. Its not really that big of a flaw, you just have to take it more often. The best thing to do to stay ahead of your pain would be to get raised to 60mg's per day and take 10mgs every 4 hours, even a dose in the middle of the night if possible. It is annoying to have to do but I do it nearly everynight, but I always wake up for some reason, such as to go the bathroom, because of my pain starting up, my dog has to go outside etc. Good luck.
  • Jim, I thought I was the only one who did that! I explained it to my wife and she completely understands. I just want to enjoy the few hours that I'm not overwhelmed with pain. I do need to be careful because I'm Bipolar and it's important for me to try to keep a regular schedule when it comes to sleep. Thanks for sharing that and try not to feel guilty.

Be Well,
    Jeff
  • I love your avatar.

Jim - too bad the rest of the family isn't on my sleep schedule (if you could call it that). Because when I feel good, I feel good. I want to do stuff.

Usually, if I am feeling well during the night, especially a school night when my husband is working, I'll call him at work and chat a few minutes.

Take care!
    Jeaux
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.