Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

scoliosis and facet joint athritis

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in New Member Introductions
hi everyone,i have just been diagnosed with scoliosis and facet joint athritis, i have been in pain from the age of 15 i am now 37. I have been to different gp's and consultants over the years giving me all different answers for my pain. I would like to speak to anyone who has the same condition and what kind of pain releif works for them hope to hear from you soon xxx

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i have several of the problems you do and use conservative treatments for pain relief.. =D> these include treatments from medications to exercise to rest! you will have to find what works best for you!! i have been a pain patient since i was 15 as well. i will only say i am over 50 now! :P please have a look around and make yourself at home! good luck as you seek your own pain regiment. :D Jenny :)
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I'll keep it simple and brief, find a good rheumatologist.
    Take care,
  • I've had facet joint injections that's helped with some of the backpain. To me though it's not comfortable to get the injections but it's helped with range of motion and that locking up back has stopped. Perhaps a pain management Dr would help also Ortho or NeuroSurgeon consult. Maybe physio may help. That's rough to go through pain for so long. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • A spinal chord stimulator implant at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. literally saved my life; I suffered extremely crippling pain caused by spinal arthritis closing around my facet joints (finally diagnosed at Mayo).

I developed crippling pain in my lower back three years ago. A local neurosurgeon repaired a ruptured disc (caused by arthritis)but I did not improve; I got swiftly worse even though the surgery did successfully address the disc problem. After the surgery I spent six months laying on my back on my basement floor 23 hours a day as doctors from four hospitals did test, after MRI, after treatment (including three rounds of facet shots). Nothing helped. I could not sit in a chair. I could not lay in a bed or on a couch. I could not stand for more than ten minutes at a time. I was unable to fly or ride in a car. I consumed over 120/5000 mg of hydrocordon a day plus three other "nerve" pain meds. I could not think much less work. My "lowly" family doctor finally prescribed a large temporary dose of lyrica (not fun)and I was able to ride, laid out flat in a vehicle, for the twenty two hour (non-stop) drive to Mayo in Minnesota as no airline would let me on a plane. Neurosurgeons at Mayo said my problem was inoperable; less than a five percent chance for even partial success. I received a spinal chord stimulator at Mayo's pain clinic. The pain reduction was instant and substantial. The stimulator sensation is comfortable; the surgery and recovery was very short as Mayo docs did the procedures under a local. Today I can walk, sit, sleep in a bed and do light housework. While I will never work again, I can even drive a bit. My drug reduction was amazing; I dropped 80/3000 mg of hydrocordon a day. All the other pain meds are gone!

Recharging the stimulator battery every ten days is easy; I just strap on a charger for about five hours and the battery in my stimulator is fully charged through my skin.

So, Casandra, at a minimum, go see the best pain doctors in the country NOW. By the way, every single procedure done at Mayo was financially cheaper than those done locally.

Finally, Casandra, this will sound silly but I strongly suggest that you find a "Body Worlds" exhibit somewhere in the U.S. and GO. NOW. You will learn so much about your problem (I certainly did). While the exhibit may seem a bit unsavory in the advertising it really is extremely well done. I saw an exhibit with only a skeleton and his complete nervous system. I saw immediately what my problem was so I was able to talk with the neurosurgeons and pain docs and understand exactly what they were talking about.

Don't mess around, Casandra. I did for months and months and it was NOT worth it. You don't need a doc to send to you to Mayo. Go online and make an appointment yourself in the neurology department. You will never regret it. John in Montana.
  • I too have arthritis of my facet joints and just found out today that it has advanced to the severe stage. I have had success with rhizotomys for the pain. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.