Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Exercise and Rehab
What could i do to help myself without surgery ?
I have DDD at L4/5 and L5/S1 with small annular tears and slight bulging and right sided L5 foraminal stenosis.
The pain is not bad but just a slight niggling pain.
My biggest problem is when i do aerobic exercise my right leg goes weak after 10 to 15 mins and i have to stop. My consultant says it is the L5 stenosis.
He just wants to give me an ESI but i want to try stretching/physiotherapy.
Anybody out there got any past experiance or knowledge of this type of problem and the stetching i could do.
Many thanks

• You said you have a consultant, is that some type of doctor? I'm assuming you quoted the results of an MRI, the doctor that ordered it can refer you to a physical therapist who can teach you how to do proper stretching. There is also exercise information on this website (exercises for sciatica) that might help you.

For most people, ESIs are typically the last "conservative" method of pain relief before surgery is considered. If you can live with the level of pain that you have, and your situation doesn't deteriorate there shouldn't be a need for surgery.

The ESI is just a steroid shot to reduce inflammation and pain. Most likely the consultant believes that your leg weakness is due to the stenosis/annular tears and bulging interfering with your sciatic nerve. The ESI could help reduce the inflammation enough to give the nerve some space and allow you to exercise without weakness. You can try an ESI (or a series of ESIs) and choose not to have surgery.

Good luck!