Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi everybody. I am new here, so please bear with me. I was wondering if anyone out there has been on Avinza for some time and could tell me if it works for them.
I just started with a new pain doc after going to another clinic for about 7 years. I have degerative discs in cervical spine and low back problems as well as arthritis.
I was on Opana 40mg 3 times a day with Fentora for breakthrough pain. It wasn't working anymore, so I decided to change docs. I asked my Dr. if I could try Oxycontin. He said no, that there was too much abuse, so I changed to one who I heard would prescribe it. When I went to see him, I asked for the Oxycontin and got the same song and dance.
I was given Avinza 120mg once per day and percocet for breakthrough. I am on my 2nd day and have had a killer headache. Nothing seems to help.
Is there anybody out there who is taking Avinza, and how does it work for you.
Wish the docs wouldn't blackball Oxycontin because it had been proven effective for many. Too bad!
Ohio guy

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Hi Ohio- guy,
    I've never been on this drug but you can look it up on RX drugs A-Z. And find out what people who take it think about it on askapatient.com.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    I checked it out and its morphine sulfate extended release.
    The askapatient rating was 4.2 out of 5
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I take MS Contin morp. slow release and take 120 mg but 1 every 6 hours or 60mg twice a day. I think it lasts 12 hrs. I think it should be twice a day unless it lasts 24hours? My Dr wants me to take 30mg every 6 hrs x4 and pain management Dr wants to give it every 12 hrs It doesn't relieve all pain but it's tolerable mostly. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • i have been taking avinza for 4 weeks now. stay with it it takes 24-48 hours for it to take effect. its a long acting pain reliever, 24 hours, every 4 hours it releases into your blood stream and you'll have reached a steady state by 2-3 days. i take 2 90mg in morning and 1-2 norcos p/day. somestimes i take 3 and no norco.. great relief, no highs or lows you just feel normal. everyone reacts different though but other morphine drugs made me sick and feeling wierd.
  • Hi Ohio-guy,
    I also take Avinza and yes, it is an extended release MS-Contin. It is the first pain med I've taken that works. Hydro & Oxy based narcotics would make me pass out (naptime in about 30 minutes!) but I've had no noticeable side effects taking Avinza. It works on my pain and I can still function. Good thing, too, I was ready to quit working, now I can survive! When I got the first script, the doc said I should wait until my days off to start taking it. I started that evening and knew I had a winner the next day. I still have to take my Tramadol on occasion during the day for breakthrough pain and I also have Vicodin as a backup but haven't touched any other narcotics for a month now! I don't have a real good tolerance to meds so I'm ecstatic it's working without wonking me out! BTW, my wife gets horrible headaches from Morphine also.

Finally, welcome to spine-health!
  • I get the worst headaches from Morphine too

• Avinza works great for me. No side effects, no sedation. I’ve had oxycontin, (MS contin 12 hour) in the past, and Avinza works better. Headaches can be caused by any narcotic. I tend to get them from oxy and ms contin. It took a few days for Avinza to really start working. The other thing I have to say is that if you’re wondering how well your pain drug is working, stop taking it. Because of break through pain and exacerbations, I’ve often thought my pain management meds weren’t working at all. Needless to say, if I don’t take them, I quickly find out just how well they do work. Avinza changed my life. So much better taking one pill a day, without highs and lows in management. Don't give up, you will find the right medication. Also, a narcotic drug like oxycontin that is called embeda was recently released. It is far less abusable and may give scared doctors some piece of mind when prescribing narcotics. Good luck.
  • I take Avinza and it seems to help me. I take 45 mg once a day. I wish it was not a 24 hour pill though because I do see a noticeable difference after say about 11 hours or so but before that it really does help. Avinza is the only extended release that I have tried that did not make me sleep for hours or make me feel really sick.
  • I've been taking Avinza for about four years. Prior to that, I took methadone three times a day. Avinza clearly works better but it's expensive and some insurance companies won't cover this drug.
    As far as getting used to it, I recall that it took a couple of weeks for me to adjust to Avinza. I was a little sluggish for a while, but after that, I did fine. If it weren't for Avinza, I'm not sure I'd be able to work every day.
    My pharmacist told me that it should go generic in about four years. Good Luck, I know what you're going through.
  • Just wanted to add, there are co-pays cards available for this drug. I would assume that drug reps bring them in. My doctor has given me two so far. It covers up to 50.00 each month towards the copay, I have not had to pay a co pay yet on Avinza since the card is good for six months. Might be something worth checking out.

• Please don't take this the wrong way- I don't think it's wise to go from one doctor to the next asking if they will prescribe Oxycontin for your pain. It will send off the wrong signals and you might be accused of doctor shopping. Also, it is considered suspicious if you go in asking for a specific medication.

When you go into pain mgt, you must have an open mind and also be willing to try whatever is recommended. They follow certain guidelines and have their own beliefs about treating chronic pain. Just give the Avinza some time. Your body needs it to get accustomed to it and you may experience some side effects which hopefully will diminish or go away in time. I was only several ER meds before being prescribed Oxycontin and then I switched to something else due to cost. It works pretty good but you better have insurance to afford it. The generic form is all about vanished now and the brand name is available for around $700. Ouch.

Anyway, I hope the Avinza gives you relief and I also feel that you should stick to one doctor in order to avoid any problems. Take care
This discussion has been closed.