Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

changing to another breakthru med

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Pain Medications
Ive changed to fentanyl patch which is good so far for about 48 hours. Im also on vicoden for BT as the oxy shortage. Is thhere another BT med out there that may be halpful that is not in shortage? My Dr is very open about us discussing different meds and usually asks me what I am thinking of as he knows I do my homework and he does trust me.

• i have taken so many different pain meds i kost count. taking up to a dozen a day and still not getting relief. started on methodone two weeks ago and i am only taking one a day and getting the best relief in 21 months. just somethinh to think about.
  • I have heard very good things about methadone from some people. Is it considered an apropiate BT med though?
    That I do not know!
  • Dmoonchild
    After much evaluation I still have no plan of where and when my BT medication may be appropriate, by its nature pain is erratic and the concept would be to pre-empt any increase in pain levels and take appropriate medication on the upwards increase of the pain, rather than trying to play catch up once the pain increased to an unbearable intensity and maximising coverage over time. Our PM pharmacologist, suggested that we take our base medication by the clock and this would increase the threshold of when the BT pain started, although you may be taking more medication in volume overall, it is attempting to minimise the peaks and troughs.

Doctors here will provide information on alternative options and that aspect of perpetual change and combinations always a good strategy in attempting to manage our pain more effectively. My concern is how much pain I should be expected to endure on a day to day basis, much rhetoric is espoused about the reality of managing pain more effectively and from my experience the impact on my quality of life is thwarted by the level of pain I am expect to tolerate as the norm.

Although BT medication may be the option for many this is dealing with the effect and not the cause or waiting with anticipation for the next occurrence of increased pain, taking increased levels of medication over what at times seems shorter periodic BT events increases medication to a level where the higher order medication becomes our norm and possibly less effective as a consequence, medication should be about living and not just existing.

I am in the process of researching the perceived effectiveness of medication itself based on a radio program I listened the other week, about managing pain itself and am trying to contact one of the guests.

You doctors sounds good in supporting you to help yourself.

Take care John
  • Methadone is not a choice as far as a breakthrough med. Breakthrough meds are those that are short acting -ie about 4-6 hours in duration, rather than the long acting ones. Methadone is a long acting pain med.
    The oxycodone shortage should be coming to an end soon enough, I have no problems getting it here and according to my pharmacist, it should be coming back into circulation across the country soon enough.

• Percocet would be worth mentioning as the shortage does not apply to them in many places. Outside of that and hydrocodone or instant release Morphine there is really only stronger med's like opana and dilauded.