Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

One year out and lost!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well I am new here, so I guess I will give a little detail. Well I had a car accident 6 months after gradutating nursing school. I had a compression fx of the l4,l5,and s1. With dulge at all 3, I went immediately in pt and that actually made the fx worse and did more damage. I havent worked in alittle over 4 years and I have had pt, swim therapy (serval times) and I have had aroung 23 spinal injections of varies types I had a nuerotomy done with know success, I have had a emg that showed nothing, they say I have dengerative disk disease and spondylolisthesis.
I had spinal fusion done in march of 08 of the l5-s1 with hardware, at this piont i regret it!
I havent picked up my 4 year old in a year and i am in sooo much pain it never stops, I hate who I am becoming I dont enjoy much of any thing any more I am scared I will have to live this way for the rest of my life, my doc beleaves I am haven increased pain do to a reaction from the titanium hardware so he did a bone scan today and if the graft took he wants to remove the hardware, I had such a hard time after the first surgery I couldnt walk for two weeks I could darely pee for two weeks and the pain is sooo much worse now , and I am only 30.
has anyone experience a reaction to the hardware, I feel like I am truely alone even though I have the best family who is truely understanding.. advice please.

I know my spelling sucks

meds: vicoden 5/500 prn
neurotin 900mg daily
ultram er 200mg daily

• I had L4/5 spinal fusion last summer. Some symptoms are gone but now I have 24/7 low back pain, stiffness, difficulty walking and going up the stairs. Its exhausting and frustrating. I sometimes wonder if it is the hardware causing my pain.

I would suggest looking into getting on an antidepressant, one that also helps with pain. Pain and depression go hand in hand most of the time. You have enough going on. Also, please join us in chat. We're there to give you support and to help get your mind off of the pain.

• I know there are people on here who have had their hardware removed for just this reason. Why don't you start a new thread and put something about "hardware removal" or "allergic to titanium" in the title and see what you get.

Otherwise run a search and see what comes up. I know I have read posts on here from a number of people who were in your situation.

Wishing you a more pain-free day.
  • Hi All, I havent been on for a while since I started PT..I felt like things were going pretty good but now that I am expected to be recovered (by work, friends, etc) I am getting nervous! :SS
    I go BTW on Monday and will be traveling to Vegas for conference in 3 weeks...Argentina in 7 weeks. The problem is that I can barely stand/walk for 1/2 day w/o rest.
    My pain level goes from 2 or 3 & shoots to 7/8 very quickly :''( .

How in the world am I going to handle this? I could have stayed out longer on disability but after 12 weeks you are not guarenteed a job X( .

How were u all at the 12 week range? Any travel tips? Sitting in 8 hr meetings & walking long distances?
    Any suggestions appreciated!