Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pulled muscle or disc trouble?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello everyone -- first post on this site, thanks for welcoming me.

I'm a story with a pretty happy ending, at least so far. I've had some fairly serious back issues in my forty years -- a pinched nerve in my 20s (a true one, not one of them fake pinched nerves!) and then, in 2006 and 2007 many terrible episodes due to a herniated L5-S1. I had all the MRIs, consults, etc, and was doing my best to avoid surgery via a brilliant physio, pilates, and so on. Despite the seriousness of my pain (too many days and nights to count absolutely unable to move) I did beat it, and I successfully moved to France in the summer of 2007 with my wife and sons and never looked back.

I kept up my back exercises, had a medicine cabinet of pills at the ready which I used if I needed them (for the rare twinge or pain after a long plane ride, etc) and generally kept an eye on it.

It's actually been so long since I had anything scary, that tonight, after doing something really not good at all, I'm not sure how to self-diagnose. I was horsing around with my kids (8 and 10), didn't feel anything go, but an hour afterwards, my lower back began to stiffen up and I had that old familiar feeling of fragility -- hard to stand (but not to sit) difficult to get out of bed, etc. I immediately iced and took an Anaprox, which has helped a bit, but because it's been so long, I don't recall what I ought to be doing next, and I'm not sure if I've reinjured the disk or if I've just pulled a muscle. How do I tell the difference? There's no radiating pain down my leg, but I can't stand straight and I feel wobbly. What's the best thing to do tomorrow?

Thanks for reading ...

This discussion has been closed.