Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Advice on questions for Dr.

pammieppammie Posts: 79
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
After dealing with low back pain for 10+ years and being told that I am too young for surgery, I finally have a Dr. who is willing to look at the possibility of surgery. I have done PT with no positive results. I had my second ESI 1 1/2 weeks ago with no positive results. My follow up appt. is this Thursday 3/19. Does any one have advice on what questions I should ask at this appointment? I know that surgery is a major step and it is permanent but nothing has worked so far and I am tired of being in pain and it is only getting progressively worse. Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Great topic!

Like you when I saw my second surgeon, I was leaning towards surgery. Because I was in so much pain and had waited almost an hour in the examining room to see him, I didn't spend too much time asking detailed questions. Luckily, his nurse practioner was always available to answer questions after the procedure.

Here are the questions that I asked and should have asked.

1. How long is the recovery?
    2. What are my chances of having more surgery in the future?
    3. What if I don't have the surgery?
    4. Will/Could I have more or similar pain after surgery?
    5. Will I need to stay over night at the hospital?
    6. How much of the disc are you going to cut out? (had microdiscectomy)
    7. What will do you during the surgery?

I am sure others on the forum can provide more helpful questions.

Good luck!