Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post ACDF pain control and PM doctor?

Nicole74NNicole74 Posts: 123
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Pain Management
Does anyone here see their PM doctor post ACDF? I'm two weeks post op and my surgeon says no more meds. I still have a lot of pain at the back of my neck and shooting down my right arm. Especially after my walks and moving around. I'm just wondering if I should go ahead and make an appointment with my PM doctor.

• That seems like a very short time out of surgery to stop med's. My surgeon goes to the 6 week mark. I would have to say it would be a good idea to see your pm doctor. You might need some nerve pain med's, nerves take a long time to settle down.

• He stated this before he did the surgery, he won't even prescribe muscle relaxers for muscle spasms. That is fine, I like him as a surgeon. I was hoping not to have the nerve pain after the surgery.
  • In that case I would contact your PCP or PM and tell them what is going on. If your still having shooting pain I'm surprised he did not at least have an image taken to make sure everything is OK?

Is the shooting pain new?
  • I'm surprised also that your surgeon would stop your meds. I guess I'm lucky - I'm 5 months out and my surgeon still refills my pain meds and muscle relaxers because I still have an ache in the back of my neck and muscle spasms.

Even if you don't need them every day, you should have something for those time you need them.

I agree with Wrangler - you should contact your PCP or PM doc and let them know what's going on. I hope you can get some help.

• No, the shooting pain is not new. I had this pre surgery. The only new symptoms are my middle and ring finger are numb. I'm assuming it's from all the inflammation from the prodedure. I will let them know at my 4 week post op appointment. I have absolutely horrible muscle spasms in both of my shoulders.

• 2 weeks in is much too short, even at my opiophobe hospital surgery will get you 90 days and anything further a PM visit.
  • I know I'm a bit behind on commenting, but it seems strange that your doc would stop your meds. I had to stop mine 3 days after surgery becuase they were making me nauseous. However, since I was having terrible muscle spasms in my shoulders, he prescribed a steroid dose pack. That seemed to help a lot!

Good luck and keep us posted.

• After several calls into the office I was given a script for vicoden. The vicoden still isn't strong enough for the pain and it doesn't take the edge off either. I have an appoinment on the 6th of April. I'm also on the steroid pack, which did not help one bit. I have ice on the back of my neck almost 24 hours a day.

The surgeon's PA said it's normal to have this pain after surgery and it may take several months before it starts to ease up. I won't see the PM doc until the surgeon is done treating me.
  • This site is mostly a walk-by way of for all of the data you wanted about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse right here, and you’ll definitely discover it.
    Spam URLs removed by authority member Cindy (neck of steel). Spamming is a spine-health violation.