Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe pain is this normal??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all sorry I havn't been around lately. Surgery was thursday and I've been having a lot of pain. I had ACDF C3/C6 came home on Friday. Friday night I blacked out and hit my head on the concrete. My family just put me in the chair and let me sleep so by the time I woke up I didn't really think about going to ER I didn't even remember falling. But then I got thinking that since I fell hard enough to put a huge lump on the back of my head and maybe I could have messed up my surgery. I have been hurting really bad. It's like my neck and right arm are on fire. I keep telling myself it's normal to have pain from the surgery but should I have this much pain?? My doctor is off this week but I called his nurse to see if she can help me but who knows when she will call. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

• I am sorry that you had an accident. There should be another doctor who takes takes the place of your doctor while he is on leave. Unless he is in solo practice. His nurse should call you by this afternoon as this is this procedure with all my doctors.

Keep us posted on your status.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I would keep calling the nurse back until you get to talk to her. If not, she'll be gone for the day and still you'll have no advice. Hope you feel better soon.

If you can't talk to her maybe you should go to the ER just to be safe?
  • I would be going to the ER if the doctors office does not tell you to come in. You may have done any number of things falling like that.

Hopefully you did nothing at all except bruise your head, but what if?
  • Go to the ER , there will be someone on call for that Dr. there always is!!! Don't take chances thats what they r there for, Good Luck,Kellie
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    If the nurse didnt respond, call and speak to the on call physicians. Almost all medical offices have doctors that cover for other doctors.
    If you still are not getting any answers, then I would call the Emergency Room and explain your situation. They would be in the best position to tell you if a trip to the ER should be done.
    I would also be very concerned as to why you blacked out!
    That is not any sign of a post operative scenario
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • You should go to the ER and get checked out. Have you ever fainted before? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Well I talked to the doc's nurse and we decided I should go to ER to get checked out. Went in and they gave me a couple percocet and did a bunch of X-ray's. Doc came back in and said there was swelling in my neck and they were going to do a CAT scan. I was still in extreme pain, crying and asked for something else for pain and they gave me a shot of torodol. After the CAT scan they came in and said I needed a CAT scan of my brain. After all that they said my head and neck was fine and it was just post op pain. Then the doc acted like I was there just to get pain meds. She had looked up my prescriptions and proceeded to tell me when and how much pain meds I had had filled in the last month, like I was some drug seeker. I was so mad. I wasn't there to get more meds just to find out if I messed up my surgery with my fall. I really hate ER docs.
    Anyway my neck is a little swollen inside but they said it's normal after surgery so at least I know I'm gonna be ok. Just wish the pain would go down some so I can function.
    Thanks everyone for the advice and for careing enough to respond to my post. I knew I could get good advice on here.