Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic Pain, Cervical Stenosis, Steroid Nerve Root Injections, Cervical Spine...PROBLEMS!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Spinal Injections
hi everyone. i am new to this website and glad to have found my way to it.

i have lived with chronic pain for almost 30 years (i am 56)and only recently have i been sent to the local hospital pain clinic. i was sent there by the spine surgeon who is treating me right now. it was his recommendation that i undergo the cervical nerve root steroid injections...i agreed. the pain clinic doctor also changed my pain medication from the hydrocodone that was no longer working at ALL after eight years of slowly titrating up ....to hydromorphone , very small mg. tablets, and at first, a month ago, it was amazing how well they blocked the pain message to the brain! i felt fantastic.....it's a different story since the SECOND ROUND of injections last thursday.

i have not felt right since.....i felt very sick that day, and all day friday and saturday. while i know to expect a possible flareup of the pain symptoms with the injections, i didn't expect to feel as bad as i did. and i am receiving no help from the injections yet...it's been five days. this is exactly how it went the first time. the pain clinic doc told me that if i DID receive benefit this time, he would recommend a third round, but that if i do NOT, he would call it quits with injections.

on sunday, while in church, i experienced such intense chest pain that i thought for sure it was a heart attack. i gave it time to go away, walked the halls, took an antacid, as i do have GERD and an esophageal stricture, but it did not resolve; my husband decided we should go to the ER, where they kept me over night in the cardiac observation unit.....i am happy to report that it was NOT a cardiac event......but what the heck was it?

this morning it started again...and this time i felt it start IN the cervical spine...or so it seemed. it travelled to the center of my chest again and was the same sharp twisting pain...it is gone now but i did call the pain clinic to report it, looking for some help...is this considered "normal" for the amount of digging around and injecting the doc did on thursday? the answer was a rather cold "NO...go see your primary".....well okay then! i was not happy with how i was dealt with at all. so i am now waiting for my primary doctors' office to call back to set up an appointment.

i am just so used to having "medical mayhem" that i believe tehre must be something else going on....again. i meditate, i have a very slow heart rate as a result, perfect blood pressure, etc.....i am not racked with anxiety.....so what gives?

has anyone out there had these injections and had any kind of similar response?

i just wish i was one of the lucky ones who could report major pain relief after these injections: i really don't understand how they coudl NOT help? i've had more than my share of cortisone injections over the years and they have always been helpful. i get them regularly for my right knee which is almost bone on bone at this point and is frequently a source of bad pain: they help.

well, thank you in advance for any help anyone can offer....even if just in commiseration!

take care all...

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Hi! I can't give you any advice about those injections since I haven't had any but I do sympathize. There are a lot of people on here who have them so I'm sure you'll get an answer soon. Hope you're feeling better. Good luck.
  • Hi Kalea,

I just had my second set of SNRB and Trigger point injections exactly one week ago today. I feel like I am 50 times worse now than I was when I first started seeing this PM doctor. I had the SNRB injections in 3 levels of my neck and the trigger points in my back (Trapezius muscle). The first time I had it done (3 weeks ago) I had pain relief in my shoulder for only 4 days but they also caused a much worse pain in my neck. He keeps telling me that it usually takes three times to work. I don't think I can go through this again. I am only getting worse and I am in tears constantly from this pain. I left a message yesterday for my PM doctor and my OS (who referred me to him) and I have not received any calls back. I also noticed that it has been hurting to breathe but I don't get chest pains like you described.

Let me know what you find out and I really hope you feel better and find some relief soon.

• I too had injections with steroids. It almost killed me. It threw my thryroid off, made me "steroid" induced hypogylcemic, and depleated my potassium to 3. I should be dead. After 1.5 years of going in every 3 days to have my potassium level cheched again, I had an unrelated surgery that affected my hormones. At that time I went off my 150.000 MG og potassium chloride and weened myself with a fabulous multivitimin every 4 hours. After 2.5 years I had it all balanced out when I added power gaterade for my eloctolites. Steroids are very dangerous. It sounds like you are not getting relief and are starting to get the run around that I went through. I can tell you this. NO primary Dr can help you and if your pain management Dr is redirecting you back to your primary I would get a different pain management Dr. I do not know where you live but I have been dealing with my spine for 14 years and do highly recomend EDITED. Just have your potassium , thryroid, and hypoglycemia checked. I would. In regards to the GERD, there is a simple exercise toi do laying down that any personal trainer could tell you. If you live in California EDITED is very good with this. He works in Berkly, Ca. Also any antacid you take makes you dependant upon it. If you go off it the acid comes on 100 fold stronger than just dealing with it in the begining. If you have been taking it for years than you will have to ween yourself off of it and REMEMBER this The stomach and back work together. If you strengthen the stomach (GENTLY) you are strengthing your spine. EDITED. The # for EDITED. People travle across the world to see EDITED. In my case he uses zero steroids. Feel free to contact me if you need more information or I can be of any more assistance to you. I wish you well. I turned into a hard body 12 years ago until 2 years ago my neck (and spine gave out) so it can be done. I walked away from all medical help. Until I need it again. But, I got another decade out of my body and have every intention of doing it again. OH, Remember this too, NO neroligist nor human can say they know the power of the mind and the healing powers it has on our bodies. On that positive note you may contact me @ smart1@embarqmail.com Just put re: being spine help info and I will not spam it. Get well.

Doctors name and contact details removed by forum Moderator (paulgla). We do not permit publishing specific doctor's or institution names and contact details.

The information provided by members of Spine-Health should never be considered as formal medical advice. It is recommendations based on member's personal experiences only. This can vary from person to person, so do not take comments as medical rules. Edited by moderator Paulgla