Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ESI Scheduled. A few questions...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Spinal Injections
Hi all,
My insurance finally approved a series of 2 ESIs and they are scheduled in a few weeks. Both are to be done a week apart. This is new for me, but I have been suffering from low back pain and shooting pain going down to my big toe for 2 years. The nurse told me they give a Versed injection IM and that's it. No IV sedation. What am I in for? Will the Versed help? Why are these done 1 week apart? It seems to me the Dr. would want a longer space to see what effect the 1st injection had. Thanks in advance.

• Thanks for the quick reply, kattoo13. 2 were scheduled because that's all the ins company approved. Not sure why, but I guess that's their policy. I hope it works. I DO NOT want to have surgery.
  • My first ESI was the only thing that has ever worked for me. Lasted 8 months. I got versed but it was IV. I didn't realize they could give it IM. The pain is minimal during the injections. Once the novocaine wears off you'll be sore for a few days until the steroid starts working its magic.
  • So far all I have done is PT and pain meds. Yes, this is my 1st ESI. Jay, I hope mine works as well. Thanks.
  • Had it done this morning. So far so good. It went a lot better than I expected. Relatively no pain. Mostly pressure. The whole thing lasted about 10 minutes. I sure hope it helps. Doc said it will take a while before it really kicks in.
  • Nothing but a dull headache so far. It gets better when I lay down. This is by no means one of those "worst headache I have ever had in my life" things. It's just a dull headache that increases with intensity the longer I sit/stand. No relief from the back and leg pain yet. I think I need to give it time to work. From what I've read, ESI's are not a "ready fix", but rather take days or weeks to work. Is that a correct assumption?
  • I was sore for about 4 days.(bruised/punched feeling) Around the 6th day I started to feel a bit of relief in my thoracic but not the main issue my lumbar.
    I had concious IV sedation and don't remember a thing.
    My PM at the time said if the first one did not work he would not think about doing a second.
    He also would of scheduled them 2 weeks apart..
    I would give it a few more days to see if there is any progress!!

Good luck!!
  • The headache is gone. It never got beyond a dull headache, but it lasted 4 days. No relief from the constant low back pain. I had a break through pain episode on Friday that finally put me back in bed on Sat. It seems to stabilize when I lay down for a while, but the minute I get up and move around everything starts to tighten up and the pain is intense. It radiates down my leg. I have another injection scheduled this coming week. Not sure if I am expecting too much from the 1st injection or if I just haven't given it enough time. Perhaps this is why these injections are given in a series of 2 or 3.
    How much time should I give for the ESI's to work their magic? If the injections don't work, what's the next step?
  • It looks like I am in the same shoes as janetatum. I'm now 2 weeks post 2nd ESI. The 2nd injection seemed to help with the level 9 breakthrough pain I was experiencing after the 1st injection, but no relief from the constant low back pain. In fact, it is a bit worse than before. The pain in my hip is much worse and I am now experiencing 2 new issues: I get up to pee 2 to 3 times during the night. Normally, even when awakened due to pain, I never need to get up. I'm also having this weird tingling in the bottom of my foot. I've called the doctor, but the nurse just tells me this may be a temporary side effect.
    I'm not sure where this will lead. Anyone had similar issues? What's next? What happens if this doesn't clear up? At what point do I look into a pain pump, SCS, or surgery? The doctor is not the friendliest guy I have come across nor does he really explain what's going on.