Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C5-C6 .4cm midline protrusion - 24 year Old Male

patrick212ppatrick212 Posts: 36
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

I am a 24 year old male and generally pretty active.

Almost two weeks ago I noticed some pressure and tension in the base of my neck and told my friend to rub it for me, and he said "dude, thats your spine." I didnt think anything of it and went on in my day. The next day I woke up with limited movement and in pain in my neck.

I went to the chiropractor for about a week and it didnt do much. I was on Flexeril as well. Everyone kept saying spasms. I found a different chiropractor and he provided some relief and after two visits to him I feel much better. I still have tension & pressure in the base of my neck but its better than before.

In the mean time I had a Cervical MRI done and got the results. Its a C5-C6 .4 centimeter midline protrusion which is compressing the spine but shows no encroachment on the nerves.

I'm lost right now and want to figure out what is best to do. One chiropractor says just do some physical thearpy and in a few weeks I should be ok and just keep an eye on it. Another says we'll just keep doing what we were doing (adjustments & massage) and keep an eye on it for the future. They seem to think that it just something to watch but its nothing to worry about right now.

I think it may be the cause of all this and I dont want to keep just masking the pain. I mean what are the odds that the pain started at C5-C6 anyway and thats were the bulge is? What should I do? Is my bulge really that bad? Please help, I'm looking for some hope here.

I havent really had any shooting pain other than on the inside of my right elbow and its mostly on a tendion so the doctors think it is unrelated. No tingling or numbness otherwise.

• I wouldn't be able to tell you the relationship b/w your pain symptoms and what was found on the mri. I was wondering who had ordered the mri? General Pract, Ortho, etc...did they give you any explanation to the findings?

This was new territory for me when my discomfort grew to pain, and i understand your 'lost' feeling. I have a very labor intesive job and very active, so like you I was concerned that I could fuller injury myself if i did not get things checked out.

To me, and i am no doctor, pain has been my guide...meaning it persuaded me to seek out medical attention to help me figure out what was going on....and continues to push me to get some answers.

I hope that you are seeking out medical attention (nothing against chiro) - but perhaps they could explain if the findings on the mri and if it is related.

From my experience - elbow "funny bone' feeling can be related to the neck. If you look thruough the posts - some of the members know specific links to help you gather more information.

I wish you luck as you go forward, keep us all updated.
  • I had the same questions as baffled - who ordered the MRI and why didn't they explain the findings?

It's possible that you can be helped with PT, but you'll need to talk to a doc to have that ordered for you so they can narrow down the exercises and treatment specific to your cervical spine.

Hope you find the help you need. Be sure to keep us posted.

• Have you been to see a neurologist? If not I would recommend it. Sometimes they can see things that a radiologist can't. Further more they can explain things to you much better. You may not have any diruption it the nerves but they can become irritated. Eventually your nerves may be interupted with time.

Good Luck!:)
  • So after about 2 weeks the neck spasm went away. I found one really good chiropractor who adjusted me and did some deep tissue massage and he really got the kink out. I am sure I still have the bulge but everyone seems to think the muscle spasm wasnt related to my bulge. I saw a neurologist and he cleared me and suggested PT to reduce the bulge.

However, since my neck has felt better my shoulder muscles, the traps right between by neck and shoulder feel like I just worked out and they need a break. They feel as though they are constantly getting electric stim. I'm pretty sure its just a spasm on them but I would like to know if this is related to my neck problem? Do things like this usually travel together, when you fix one spasm you get another? My worst case scenario is thinking that the bulge is still causing this and my muscles just dont want to give up the fight. However, I have been told that it may be common to get some symptoms in my shoulders cause my neck muscles were recently so inflamed.
  • I havent had much pain (pressure) in my neck lately, instead my left shoulder blade gets really tired, as if I just got done working out whenever I sit in poor posture for more than 30 mintutes. Additionally, the "tired" feeling runs across my shoulder blades as well.

I've heard that the nerve near C5 is corelated down to the shoulder blade. is this true? Or could this be my back just getting tired for some other reason?