Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Coccyx pain during pregnancy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Chronic Pain

I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me some advice. One week ago today, I was sitting on the floor playing with my son. I stood up and heard an audible popping noise. My husband heard it as well.

Since then I have had very intense, localized pain in my tailbone. I can't sit, can't rock by son and am having trouble sleeping. It pretty much hurts constantly.

I am 28 weeks pregnant.

I've seen two chiropractors, neither of whom actually touch my body lower than my hips. I also saw my primary care physician, who recommended that I see an orthopedic surgeon. But when I called two ortho offices, they said they couldn't do anything for me because of the pregnancy.

I'm desperate for any advice/help. I'm confused because I didn't fall or injury by coccyx in any way...I just stood up.

What doctors should I see? How can I find a chiropractor willing to do work in that area?

Thank you!

• Have you seen your OB? I think that would be the place to start. They have lots of experience dealing with the pelvic area, the soft tissues, ligaments, etc. I would guess that whatever popped has something to do with the way you are carrying the baby and was probably a ligament snapping over the top of something. Hopefully it isn't anything that is causing permanent damage.

I would stay away from chiropractors if I were you. I would see your OB and try to determine what is causing the pain. Try staying off your feet as much as you can for a few days to see if that helps.

Try icing it (try using a package of frozen peas or corn -- I always keep two in the freezer just for this purpose -- as one starts to thaw, exchange it for the other package, and keep rotating them so you always have a cold one. It works well because it will conform to the shape better than ice).
    You can ice for about 15 minutes per hour. You can also try a heating pad to see if that brings relief. Different people get relief from one or the other.

Good luck. I hope this is something temporary resulting from your pregnancy.

xx Gwennie :H
  • I agree with the advice to call your OB office. They can steer you in the right direction for help. Just my opinion but I wouldn't put ice but especially a heating pad until I had the OB's ok because whatever you do externally or internally might affect the baby. Take care of yourself! Let us know what the OB recommends.
This discussion has been closed.