Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to the Forum and New to Chronic Pain as of Feb 2008

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in New Member Introductions
Id just like to say hello to all of you and to say that this site has so much information that has helped me attempt to understand my issues of Chronic Pain, how inflammation and depression are contributors to Chronic Pain and plenty of great articles on thousands of spine-health related subjects.

I took advantage of the RSS feed to get the most up-to-date information from the site and seem to have more information forwarded to me than I have time in the day to read it all.

I struggle every day with issues in my Spine that range from T4-T11 Bulging, Degeneration issues at all levels in the Lumbar Spine and complications with Oxycontin (withdrawal symptoms and side effects).

It seems that my life has been turned up-side down, everything has been shaken out of my pockets and I don't know how much more of having my head slammed on the concrete I can take.

Hopefully some day very soon I will get a grip on my Chronic Pain issues with help and support from people like you all and move on with some normality in my life.

Thanks so much for having me here. ;)

• Come here often & vent as you need to. I also struggle with side effects from anything I take. Are you seeing a pain management dodc? God bless,

• I am actually seeing 2 of them right now.. One is handling my Pain Prescriptions and the other is doing ESI's. I am in my 2nd round of ESI's in the past year.

I had reached the office policy for prescription limits for Pain Medications and BTP Meds from my Pain Management MD that I have doing my ESI's. So he referred me to another Pain Management MD that has re-evaluated all my medications 30 days ago and finally gave me some BTP meds to stop the withdrawal symptoms I was facing every 10 hours from the Oxycontin running low. Every 10 hours for 4 months I struggled with my Oxycontin levels.

That alone has had my state of mind heading in the direction that nothing will get any better and the pain will never be controlled. Depression kicked in and anyone that deals with Depression and Chronic Pain knows what the two together do to compound both issues.

I have been Depressed before in my life but I never ever thought that one could feel "pain" from Depression itself. I was completely wrong.

I am living a nightmare that started back in February of 2008 when I saw a Physical Therapist that attempted to manipulate my spine 25-30 times in 10 visits over a 25 day period. I have never been the same since.

Three MRI's show disc bulging from T4-T11, with a disc bulge at T8 – T9 does flatten the ventral thecal sac without cord compression and a disc bulge at L5 - S1 along with an array of other degeneration issues in the Lumbar Spine.

One year of ESI's, examinations by a Spine Surgeon that told me I am not a candidate for surgery, a Neurologist that diagnosed me with Dysethesia, a symptom produces a burning, aching and tingling discomfort that commonly occurs in the limbs, 2 Pain Management Doctors, 2 different Primary Care Physicians and currently being seen by a Rheumatologist to deal with issues of inflammation throughout my whole body, lifestyle changes, weight loss and the list goes on and on and on.

I have done everything that has been asked of me and I am still suffering daily with Pain Management issues as most of you are also.

I am hoping to get any and all the information that I can that i can use to help me deal with my Pain Management issues.

Again thank you for welcoming me to this forum.

• Wish you all the best, just had surgery on the 25, T12-L1 they went thru my side removed a rib cleaned up the disk that had chrystalised and replaced it with part of the rib bone. This is my thrid back surgery and by far the roughest...still in lots of pain and its been 3 weeks. Understand about the pain pills....good luck to you, Sherry
  • Thanks for the well wishes and hope all goes well with your recovery and future pain management. I am going to keep fighting until I get all of my questions answered.

• Maybe try to start a new thread to introduce yourself?

• I was wondering what is your PM office policy about reaching the limits of pain meds? I never heard about that. Is it that you tried every pain medication in their arsenal and nothing worked for you? How high was your Oxycontin before going into withdrawal? I'm sorry you're having ongoing issues with your pain and hope that someone is able to help you through these hard times. Take care
  • My PM's office policy was not to prescribe more than 2 60'mg Oxycontin ER pills per day totaling 120mg. No BTP meds at all. It was just the rule of his office. After I had been taking Oxycontin at 20mg then 40mg and now 60mg, incrementing levels over an 8 month period.

I was taking 60mg ER's tabs for almost 5 months and was fighting the 12 hour tablets only lasting roughly 10 - 11 hours. Every dose, after 10-11 hours I started to feel like someone was running a lighter across my shoulders burning my skin, nauseated, my sines would fill with mucus and just ALL OVER flu like symptoms from head to toe.

I would take my next dose and when the Oxycontin kicked in all those symptoms diminished and dissipated as the next 60mg tablet worked its way through me.

When I approached my PM with this and asked for a short term dose of Oxycontin like a 15mg IR to get me through the last 4 hours of every pill, he advised me that he was reluctant to prescribe any more meds and referred me to another PM who is now handling all of my PM medications.

I now have 15mg Oxycontin IR's (4) and 60mg ER's(2) for daily use and have not had an issue with my pain medications running short.

I still use my original PM to do ESI's and have had 3 in the past 30 days at L5-S1 and T8-T9.