Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 weeks out from fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Good News
Hello all,
I had a L4-S1 fusion surgery at the age of 28. The 1st week to 2 weeks were the hardest. After 2 weeks I went off all meds and started walking a mile. Now it has been 3 weeks and I walk up to 3-4 miles a day. I can climb up stairs like I use to. I can do almost everything on my own again. Well to tie my shoes is still a challange. I'm board due to the fact thay I have to be out of work for a few more weeks. I fell less pain then before sugery, don't get me wrong I have some pain but different and manageable. I really belive I'm on the road to have my old life back. The life I had before the back pain started. The best advice I got with having this surgery was to keep walking after and it works. The more I walk the better I fell.

I also wish to thank everyone on here for there support. I could not have done thsi w/out this web site and all the new friends I made.
Thank you,

• I hope this helps or gives hope to the hopeless and helpless people. I know I use to be one.
  • Hello this is an update. I'm at week five and I can almost due everything I use to do. However I do it a lot slower but I'm doing it and happy. I find out on the 7th of April when I get to go back to work.
    Well I'm not going to lie I have had some bad days but the good days are amazing. I would get another 360 degree fusion surgery again.

• Glad things are going well. You said you were suppose to find out on April 7 if you got to go back to work. It sure would be great to get an update
  • So happy to know you r doing greaat dont get discourged but after my first surgery i was feeling great to but a million things went wrong had 2nd surgery and still in pain i am hoping its just heaaling . i hope all works out with you and good luck i also love walking , now just in the water if iam on concreate forget it could only walk a block but take it easy and dont do tooo tooo much
  • It is May 12 and not back to work yet. It is not because of anything wrong with the surgery it is because of my job. I'm looking to go back May 21st. I'm still going to the gym every day. I'm so happy I had this surgery. I have about 95% of my life back. Before surgery it was like 40-50% and that was not living. Hope everyone is doing well.
  • Hi Melissa,

This is such great news to hear. I am so happy for you! I am very impressed with your recovery and the fact that you have 95% of your life back... is absolutely wonderful! In just a couple of more weeks you will be back to work.

I really appreciate you keeping us updated. Sharing your success brings a lot of hope and encouragement to those of us still in the recovery stage.

Walking is so very important. I'm finally able to feel the benefits! It has taken a very long 5 1/2 months to get to this point, but it could have been a year... so I feel blessed.

My surgeon and physical therapist have kept telling me that they expect a full recovery for me, with the exception of a certain degree of pain I'll most likely have to deal with for the rest of my life. I look back on the journal I've kept, in addition to my calendar, and there were times where I thought they had to be joking. But when I focus on the progress I've made, even though it has been unbelievably slow... encouragement walks right back into my heart and soul.

(I do have the bad days still, but they are not as frequent).

Walking, stretches, a healthy diet with a positive attitude... is paying off.

Again, I am thrilled for your success and keep up the good work!

Best wishes to you,

• Tammy glad to hear that you are doing well. It is a long road to recovery but you need to have a great attitude. I still have some days with pain but nothing like it was before. Mind is alot better now too that I've been off the meds for a few weeks that is a big help. I wish everyone a pain free day, week, life time.

• Thank you for that positive attitude I am new to this site just joined today and am scheduled for surgery to L4-S1 (fusion) the end of August I had first surgery to back in 1985 and have intermittent pain since but since 2001 have had to retire from work on disability and have gotten gradually worse until now spend 80% of time in bed so all encouragement I can get I will be most thankful