Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pre-ACDF question

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Does everybody use a NS for ACDF?

I'm scheduled for surgery (2 levels) in mid-April with an Orthopaedic surgeon at a reknown Institute in a large city about 2 hours from my home.

I had an Diskectomy (L4/L5) a number of years ago with great sucess with a local Ortho surgeon.

• no not everyone uses neurosurgeons,there are lots of orthos who do spine surgeries.Everyone picks who they think is a good fit for them.If you like this surgeon and think he'll do a good job for you then thats who you should have.
  • I'm using an ortho doc as well. I work at the hospital where I'm having the surg & everyone I asked (& I asked every doc & nurse I saw) recommended this guy. Like tammyc said...it's all about who you feel comfortable with. Good luck!
  • And he was wonderful. He did his job quite well. I did however change recently to a Neurosurgeon for some follow up issues that I am having because they are nerve related and the Neurosurgeon, in my opinion, is much better at diagnosing nerve injuries or issues than an ortho. But for an ACDF they are both equally trained. Like everyone else has said just make sure you really trust this doc and you can develop a rapport with him and his staff because that is the key to a successful surgery and recovery.