Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain steadily increasing

LovinggardenerLLovinggardener Posts: 494
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am disheartened by the increasing pain. Every night I hope/pray that I will get up and feel better, but this is not the case. I know that some people will say that it is too early to tell (had microdiscectomy 2 weeks ago), but the increasing pain is making me depressed. When the pain first started, it was controllable with four ibuprofens. Now I am popping three Lortabs a day and it is not touching the pain. I am afraid to increase the dosage because 4 pills is the max and I hate the side effects.

Have someone out there had increase in pain after microdiscectomy and recovered?

• Have you reported this to your surgeon? He may want to put you on prednisone to try to control the inflammation. (That is a common source of pain after surgery, and a common way to treat it.)If something else, he may want to try some other treatment.

Try to stay calm and think positively. Cut back on your walking. Does icing your lower back help any? Have you tried heat? AT this point in your recovery, you might try heat if it feels OK to you. It was recommended to me by my surgeon when I had a lot of swelling about a week after my recent surgery. It seemed counter-intuitive to me, but he said it draws the fluid out more to the surface where it can be carried away.
  • When I did PT after previous surgeries. I was put on a heating pad and a TENS unit. Then I did the streching. When I was done, I was put on ice. That may work.
  • How are you feeling today? Were you able to walk at all?

I am having a caudal steroid injection on Wed. Haven't had a caudal before, but I assume it will be similar to all the other blocks and injections I have had. This has been billed as sort of a "last chance" thing to treat my nerve pain, since my two surgeries haven't done it.

So I share your frustrations.

xx Gwennie :S
  • What is caudal? Is it related to CES? I hope that this injection is going to help. Will you be sedated for the injection? Luckily, I was sedated for the first three injections that I had.

This morning the pain was pretty bad. didn't want to get out of bed, but I knew that I needed to get up and move. I even called my surgeon's office to ask for a steroid pack and another week off from work. I am now taking three Lortabs which is probably average but I am not looking forward to weaning myself off from them. Later, in the day my pain was manageable. I even walked for 30 min. during my 2nd walk.

Right now I am icing my back. I used to hate the ice, but knowing the benefits of ice, I look forward to the it.

Crossing my fingers and will say a prayer that your injection will work.
  • Hi teachertx,

I had a microdiscectomy in January and was feeling good until about day 12 or so then the pain came back slowly and over few days was back to before the surgery, actually a bit worse. It's stayed that way since then.

I too was really hoping it was an irritated nerve or swelling but after visiting my surgeon he is convinced it has reherniated. I just had an MRI today and will find out next week. I behaved myself, lay flat, walked religiously on my treadmill, didn't lift anything but he said it could have been something as simple as coughing or sneezing. Most likely I'll be in for microdiscectomy #2 in a few weeks.

I know how disappointing it is and I really hope you have better news than me from your doctor. I really stinks and is very frustrating, particularly after having such high hopes after surgery that you'll be pain free and then be back to square one!

Take care of yourself and try to stay positive. I always try to think it could be so much worse!

• This is so frustrating that you can reherniate due to a sneeze or a cough. Okay..who doesn't cough or sneeze SNEEZE at least once a week. If I reherniated my disc, I know that I did it during my coughing and sneezing phase.

How soon can you get a PostOp MRI? My pain hasn't gotten uncontrollable like before, so I am hoping that my nerve is just angry. But you know what? If my doc says, you need another surgery, I am going for it. This time I am going to pump body full of Zyrtec so a sneeze nor a cough can escape. I am going to get hold of this annoying disc. I can't believe this little thing in my body is giving so my pain.

You might get a laugh at this. While I was brushing my teeth, I stood on my left left to take the pressure off my right. I look at myself standing with one leg and thought for a moment I could see myself without a leg. Just lop off the bad one.

But later, I remember that the problem is not the leg. It is L5 S1.
  • Hi Terriblethrees,

Let me know the results of your MRI. I hope that you did not reherniate your disc. What a pain! Pun intended.

Well...the nurse practioner (God bless her) at my surgeons office prescribed me Medrol, a steroid pack, for my pain. It is working. I don't know if it is working on the inflammation or just masking the pain. I am getting relief. I hope that this course of steroids will do the trick. I am really bummed out that I won't be able to see my kids at school next week. I really miss them!!!