Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hip joint pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
Does anyone have an opinion about MBT walking shoes. I purchased a pair in an attempt to correct some pain in my right hip joint. I am not sure if they are helping or hurting at this point. Have there been any studies to ascertain the effects of wearing this design?

• It's like just about any topic: you can find "research" to support either position. I know someone who swears by them, but I think her problems were more foot related.

When I was having my first bout of back problems, I went into a specialized store that carried MBT and explained my "symptoms." The store owner would not even try a pair on me. He thought I was too unstable to even try them...or at least, he was not willing to sell them to me.

There is no doubt that the shoes change your posture, which causes a change in the alignment of your spine. This alone will cause you some initial discomfort due to your muscles and ligaments being used in a different way from what you are used to. Whether the shoes could be making a condition worse I couldn't say.

This is from the company's information:

Research by Human Performance Laboratory, University of Calgary, has confirmed the benefits that can be gained by wearing MBT shoes. According to Dr. Benno Nigg, Co-Director of the HPL, these benefits include:
    • MBTs make the muscles in the leg work harder thereby toning and strengthening them
    • MBTs curved sole forces the body to find its centre of gravity. This improves posture and spinal alignment.
    • By strengthening the muscles, pain can be reduced. The research showed that after 6 weeks pain levels went down by 30% on average.
    • The effect of shock on the joints is reduced by the thicker sole and by the strengthening of muscles.
    • Increased muscle strength helped to improve balance after 6 weeks.

I have found that the slightest change in heel height (and I'm talking "flats" here!!) causes my back to ache in different places. I have been surprised at what a different a change in shoe can make.

It reminds me of Earth shoes. The company uses all kinds of research studies in their advertising and yet law suits from people who ruptured their achilles tendon while wearing them put them out of business...I think in the 80s? Now they are being made again....

What kind of problems were you having before wearing the MBT shoes? Can you afford to try them for awhile to see if they help? I imagine it would take awhile for your muscles to get used to the change. It's like when one gets orthotics. It can take months for the body to realign and for the discomfort to go away.

Good luck! Hope this gives you something to think about!