Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 herniated discs lumbar region - what treatment?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 51,489
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi all, I have been diagnosed with 3 herniated discs and am waiting to see the neurosurgeon. Can anyone tell me if they had the same diagnosis and if so, what surgery did they undergo? Many thanks for all replies. :S
advertisement

Comments

• It is really impossible to guess what your neurosurgeon will find. Some people are able to heal using conservative methods: physical therapy, anti-inflammatory drugs and lots of patience. Others might have a surgical procedure such as a discectomy. Depending on the stability of the spine, fusion would be likely.

There are many options. It will depend on the extent to which the discs are herniated, and what else might be going.

You can read about the various proedures on the Spine Health website. There are also many other websites that feature little animated videos on the procedures and have lots of information on disc disease.
  • Hi all, my girlfriend has 3 herniated discs,lower back, like the above person, Pembroke. She's in big pain, spends all day in bed except to eat, etc. She's been on painkillers, most of which are ineffective, one which was somewhat effective but was harsh to her stomach and caused extreme itching. She can't do physical therapy due to the pain. She's been to 2 doctors, at the time when they determined she had 1 herniated disc, and they said to take pain killers and go to physical therapy. She did that for a year. No luck. We'd love to know what others, including Pembroke, have done in this situation. Depression has set in, as you can imagine, along with the physical pain, so the idea of going on like this for years is not an option. Your thoughts and feedback would be HUGELY appreciated.
  • Treatment

L5 herniated disc can be treated in two ways, conservative and surgical.

The conservative treatment involves reducing pressure on the nerve root by doing stretching and strengthening exercises. They will make the muscles more flexible and soft.

URL removed by Cindy (neck of steel). Posting violation. 02-22-11
  • Do people keep dragging up ancient posts by nobody? I find this very weird.

Linda
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
advertisement