Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

leocat46lleocat46 Posts: 125
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Chronic Pain
hello everyone, i have cervical rupture discs, still recovering from rotary cuff tear, and frozen shoulder, diagnosed with RSD. and i recently tried to go back to my job, of stocker in a major dept. store. (bad idea) , but i was just taking it one day at a time, and coming home hurting. well i thought that was bad enough...
well mon. nite i went to bed, and had a bad dream where someone was chasing me with a sword, and i was trying to get out of the way, and dropped and rolled, (LITERALLY!) I rolled right out of bed, on to the floor , and landed on my injured left side of my shoulder of rotary cuff. I woke up with a blow to my stomach and my face buried in floor, it was carpet. but still my arm was tucked up into my side, it knocked the breath out of me. my husband wondered what in the world happened? i managed to get up, and felt it hurting, but i thought it there was nothing there, so i managed to lay back down, and go to sleep, this was about 1:30 in the morn, i woke up about 4:00 in pain, could not breath without it hurting, and hurt with trying to move, i knew something was wrong. so my husband took me to E.R. . they ran a cat scan with dye, and reg. X-rays. i broke a rib!! and some bruising. needless to say, i was shocked. of all the pain i have been having with my neck, and RSD burning pain lately, and dealing with my shoulder , and P.T. i never thought this would happen. my own dr. , who i saw later in the day, said that i must have hit it just right , especially with landing on my arm tucked under me. so there is my update. i truly believe i am a glutton for punishment. this is very painful, and there is nothing you can do, except pain meds, and rest. well here i am again trying to recooperate, it never ends for me. i still am in p.t. 3 times a week for shoulder. i have an appt. with p.m. for april 2nd. i guess i have another to add to the list. well thanks for listening, i am just ready to throw in the towel, and apply for S.S.D. things just keep happening to me, that prevent me from even trying to work. if anyone has suffered from broken ribs, let me know. keep well eveyone LEO 8} :T :SS

• What a freaky accident! I know about dreams - I have them almost every night - but I've never done what you did. Poor thing - just when you think you're turning the corner you run into a post.

I've never had a broken rib, but I know they're painful. I just wanted to say how sorry I feel for you. I'm thinkin' of ya!

Take care and hope that rib heals quickly.
  • I am currently awaiting a discetomy for a prolapse of L3/4. The current cocktail of drugs sends me 'wappy' at night particularly...I take a bedtime cocktail of 14 tablets!! However this results in some wild and strange dreams, and when i wake up for around 30mins Im not in control of myself...kinda drunk and my eyes roll around in my head!
    However last night my dreams and sleep talking reached a peak... I was dreaming i was swimming (I can only dream as Im currently housebound!) and then, whilst still asleep, picked up my jug of water from the bedside table (the meds give me dry mouth) and poured the whole thing over my head in bed!!
    Oh well, made me smile even if it did make me soggy and cold!
    Think the meds sumtimes make you a bit wild when dreaming, however glad I was only wet and didnt break a bone.. I feel for you Leo!
  • ya ive had to catch myself on the edge of falling off the bed! take care of yuourself K? heal up quick!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Wow. The night I came home after discectomy I dreamed my cat was poking at my back and I woke up twisting to get away! Not fun. Sorry about your rib, leo!
  • i do believe it is the meds also. i have woke up grabbing for something before, but that was about it, nothing like this. needless to say i have gotten a few laughs from it. i now traded sides of bed with my husband , with a nitestand that is next to bed, and it would stop me from at least falling to the floor. i do not know the chances of it happening again, but i am not taking any chances. believe it or not i am still going to my p.t. , all she does is stretch my arm some, and uses ice and trodes. she even put some ice on my ribs yesterday. i was all packed up yesterday, i felt like i was a box of fish sticks in the freezer. i can hardly wait until it is time for next dose of meds. they usually only last a total of about 4 hrs. , but i can only take them every six. (2 percosets). i should get me something stronger. i am so tired, with all the pain, and trying to breath just wears me out. thank you all for the well wishes. and i will keep you updated
    LEO ~X(
  • I agree it's probably the meds. After my surgery, and on meds, I woke up and thought my ceiling fan was slowly coming down, and I was going to be chopped up. Very very scary. I'm so sorry you broke your rib, I do know how bad it hurts, fell off my horse one time (long story, LOL) and broke mine. Not fun. Just don't breath or laugh and you will be fine! :D

Gentle hugs
  • Oh wow Leo!! I am soooo sorry!! I can relate to the dreaming with side effects. I always find myself waking up eighter grabbing my face, or slamming my hand down. I've found myself trying to run in bed. It really scares me! I just recently started doing this. It goes to show you that it can be dangerous. I hope you feel better!
  • Sorry to hear about your latest injury. Gosh you poor dear!
    How is the shoulder doing after your manipulation? Did it help at all? I bet it had to suck to sign up for SSI. I know how much you wanted to go back to work.
    I hope your rib feels better soon, can they do anything for ribs? Or do they slowly heal themselves?
    I see my OS on Monday for my frozen shoulder and have to decide if I am going to have my shoulder redone, to clean up all the scar tissue, or leave with it the way it is. Let me know if it is worth the pain again.
    I also have been having a lot of numbness in my thumb and index finger again, and had an EMG done last week. I now know I also have carpal tunnel in my left wrist. I haven't heard back from my NS as to what direction we will take with that yet.
    Now I had double crush syndrome. When I had my 2 level ACDF c5-c7 done just a year ago now, the NS had to release a pinched nerve at c6/c7, but I still was having numbness, now I know it was all connected to the median nerve.
    What fun we are having hey :( The think we should adopt each other... LOL
This discussion has been closed.