Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ice treatment for lower back pain & siatica

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Lower Back Pain
I am considering investing in a Cryo Cuff and Cooler to help with my back pain. I have found cold (eg frozen peas!) to help at present, much better than a heat pack. I am awaiting an operation this month for a discetomy and decompression on my lumber spine.

I was wondering if anyone else has invested in one of these or a similar unit and whether they found them to be worth the big investment (they are far from cheap!)

Looking foward to your replies, as I had origanally posted this on the alternative therapies forum, but only got 1 reply :-)

• if cold is your best way to beat pain go with the frozen peas - don't know where you are in the world but i'm sure a bag of peas every couple of days is far cheaper than any "devices" - if your not going to eat them re-freeze them what will it matter?? LOL, i've tried a few heat pads etc & they never realy stay warm for long so I always resort to my faithful friend - my hot water bottle!!!! Again if your having surgery in a few weeks why shell out more than you have to!??! good luck with things & let us all now how your doing. db
  • Thanks for your response Dorset Boy

I am currently doing exactly what you suggest with the frozen peas, I have two bags that I alternate that are strictly not for eating (would think they'll be quite mushy by now!). Only prob is they last about 15-20mins before needing to go back in the freezer for an hour or two. The cryo cuffs actually fit around your lumber region (they come in various sizes for different body parts) The reason Ive considered the pump is because it pumps without constant trips to the freezer (I am alone most of the day as my husband works long shifts and Im a very long way from any family) and Ive seen online forum posts and blogs saying that it helped people reduce their meds ... I currently have a gastrointestinal bleed from so much NAISDs and morhpine, and anything to try and help this would be worth the investment...if it worked! Ive been told the discetomy I'm having will only get rid of my leg nerve pain & siatica, not my back pain which I will still have to manage long term.
    Just womderered if there was anyone out there already using such an ice thing? :D
  • i sometimes use ice Rather than heat but i would not waste your money on anything fancier than a blue food ice pack you can get flexible ones to go around wine bottles etc .i use a solid 10 inch block directly on my back ,it cost one pound and when it melts i just put it back in the freezer and get another out ..simple and cheap you dont want anything any colder because it may burn your skin {ice burn
  • I found the reusable hot/cold packs 4 inches X 9 inches to be the trick. They can be molded to fit anywhere and last a lot longer than you want them on you.

One thing to keep in mind. It's good to get up and move periodically. If you stay in bed or on the couch all the time it will make your recovery from surgery far more difficult.

It is not a given that your back pain will still remain after surgery. Many times back pain is eliminated as well as leg pain. It is just not the ultimate goal or guarantee to eliminate back pain. You may find as I did, that after your surgery not only is the leg pain gone, but so is the back pain.

Don't put the cart before the horse.

• The company I work for just launched a nice back product that is getting rave reviews. If you ice regularly I would recommend our Moji Back Double Ice product

http://bit.ly/3bsnFP or a single ice product looks like this

More info can be found at http://www.gomoji.com
This discussion has been closed.