Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What are fentinol patches?

dorset boyddorset boy Posts: 148
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Pain Medications
I get that their slow release drugs, but are they very strong? what family of drugs do they belong to?? I currently take 90mg of slow release morphine daily along with other bits but whilst trying to talk to my doctor on Tuesday (see my post under "what next?" in sciatica section - lots of reads my no one has replied!!LOL) he suggested to get better all day coverage & upping "cover/medication" these might be an option. I have issues with upping the morphine as by hook or by crook I am still working 6 days a week (for now anyway!!) my problem is, I won't be able to speak to the dr again for about another 4 months when I will be scheduled for a follow up telephone consultation from tuesdays procedures. Tangent but what do people consider as break through pain drugs?? thanks for reading & hopefully replying (please do or I'll start taking it personally soon!!LOL ROFLOL)

• Fentanyl is a very powerful opiate agonist. In patch form, you apply the one patch and it lasts multiple days - the usual starting point is to change the patch every 72 hours, but many people (like me) end up changing every 48 hours to get the most consistent effect.

• I'm on Fentanyl patches too and it looks like we're in similar situations. I recently discovered my ongoing pain is do to scar tissue and it's been really hard to deal with.

Anyway, Fentanyl is a schedule II synthetic narcotic and it is 80 times stronger than morphine. I change mine every 2 days because it wears off faster for me; this happens to people who metabolize it quicker than others. I tolerate it very well and I never get altered or euphoric.

You will require BT medicine while using Fentanyl like Norco, Oxycodone, Fentanyl lollipops (Actiq), Dilaudid, morphine IR. I've also been going through escalating pain since the scar tissue was found and also due to the ESI I had last week. I already was diagnosed with permanent nerve damage and the muscle spasms I get are terrible. This is on top of the burning, stabbing, electric shock, cutting, crushing sensations that I have on my legs and constant back pain. I totally relate to what you're feeling and I hope there are better days ahead for you. Take care
  • I have heard of it on this site, but never come across it personally. any other info greatly appreciated.