Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Week 6 - sitting down, pains

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have just past the 6 week anniversary of my surgery (Posterior L4-S1 fusion) and am trying to increase the length of time I spend sitting.

I find that regular sitting seems to cause pains. I am being troubled by sciatica which I rarely had before the op and also pains on both sides of my back where my stomach and back meet (hard to describe!).

Are general aches and pains normal as part of the recovery process? I used to suffer with muscle spasms and sever back pain before the op.

I think I have had quite a trouble free recovery so far, I start Physio tomorrow.

Also just worked out how far I have walked from my diary and in the last 5 weeks I have averaged 21 miles per week, not bad considering I couldn't walk without a stick or rollator prior to the op.

• Sounds quite normal/typical for 6-week post-op. I know exactly the sort of pains you are having, and the sciatica (which I never even had before).
    It should s-l-o-w-l-y start to improve. What does your doc say?
  • I had my check up last week with my Dr and not planning to go back to see him for another 3 months, was fine before he told me to push myself a little more.

I am hoping the physio will put my mind at rest tomorrow.

Basically my back seems to feel OK 95% of the time when lying down or walking, until I sit and then afterwards it hurts for a while. Sitting isn't too painful, it just starts to get uncomfortable, I can manage around 20 minutes now.

Thanks for the comments.
  • Went for physio today, they gave me a few exercises to do and will be going back in a week.

When I sit down I get a throbbing pain in my right buttock and then a tingling radiating down my leg. My tail bone is also throbbing.

I hope this is only a post-op problem. Any comments?
  • I spoke to my surgeon last night and he said even at 4 months post-op it is normal to have these pains crop up.
    Honestly, for six weeks, it sounds like you're doing pretty darn well.
  • Thanks Dana, very encouraging, I appreciate you taking the time for me.