Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Minimally invasive spinal fusion 2 level

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have just joined this forum. I am having Minimally Invasive Spinal Fusion (lumbar) at two levels on Monday. I wanted to know if anyone has gone through the minimally invasive procedure at 2 levels and how it went. Also, how long the hospital stay was. My surgeon has insinuated that I would have some type of hospital stay but not sure how long. I have 3 children and so I'm just trying to plan on how many days my husband will have to cover completely at home while I'm in the hospital. Any and all information welcome about this subject.
advertisement

Comments

• I just wanted to wish you luck on Monday. I am sorry that I don't have any information.
  • Thanks, I'm a little nervous.
  • My husband took three days off. Well...he was home with me five days including the weekend. It really helped a lot to have him around. Have you looked at the list of postOp needs on the board. It is great! I recently bought a trash grabber called Pic Stick. It can hold up to 5lbs. It is useful and handy because I don't have to bend. You will learn a new term-- No BLT (bending, lifting, and twisting) during your recovery.

I was nervous before the surgery. I was certain that I was going to cry when I saw my surgeon but I held it together. Having my husband in the preOp room was helpful too.
  • I haven't been active on this forum but I have on the pain forums. I have had back pain for 20 years with the last four or five being severe. Was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease. Tried several rounds of steroid shots, Radio Frequency procedures, chiropractic care and physical therapy with nothing helping. After more tests, I have four discs in my lumbar region that are shot and am wondering what others have done. The pain is so severe that just sitting down is excruciating. My doc is talking about fusion but he is worried because I am so active that it may severly limit my lifestyle. I am tired of trying all these other things and am really ready just to do the fusion. I had a two level fusion done in my neck (ACDF)for the same reason and it has been wonderful. Thoughts?
  • I am doing the lumbar then the cervical.Hope u r going to be somewhat better. U know I get tired of Docs saying its not that bad!! Zackback I too have Diabetes and they say my recovery will be slow, also quit smoking .Did u smoke?They say if u quit stay that way for a good fusion!Thanks for family and good friends!! Kellie
  • I had MISS on 12/29/08, while I feel this option was the best surgical option for me and has been successful, the recovery time has been a lot longer than I originally anticipated.

I stayed in the hospital for 4 days and I was glad to have the full support of my girlfriend for the first couple of weeks I was home from the hospital. I was also very glad to have a recliner and tables stationed in a central location in my house, where I was able to be comfortable and still be where the action is happening.

Granted I am only a weekend dad. I told my kids that daddy was going to have a operation to feel better, and for a long time so he can heal, he would need a lot of help around the house and my little girls have turned into great little helpers. I just hope, I can keep it going after I'm 100% healed.

For the first month post surgery I needed quite a bit of help.

Everybody heals differently. There are great posts about what you want to have before surgery in the forums.

Good luck with your surgery on Monday, and best of luck on a quick recovery.

advertisement