Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ADR anyone?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My condition at l5 S1 has left me with the surgical options of a fusion or ADR. Artificial Disc Replacement. My former husband has very successful cervical ADR on 2 levels (with a bone spur) in Germany, since it is not approved by the FDA in the US for cervical or 2 levels. It has in recent years been approved by the FDA for 1 level lumbar, I have not wanted to get a fusion because the rate of success is so much higher for ADR when done properly, and it makes sense to me that to have a artificial disc that will last longer than my lifetime at the lower level of my back L5 S1, would support the above discs and prevent future problems. The disc above the damaged one is degenerating. I have tried physical therapy (made it worse), chiropractor (made it worse), traction provided temporary relief, and ultrasound 3 times a week didn't do any good. The surgery is a third of the cost in Germany and they have been doing it for over 10 years there, my husband's insurance reimbursed him for most of it, so it someone else would like to look into this option I have some information. Has anyone had ADR in the US or know someone who has? Good luck to all....peace&love J

• Had mine with a fusion at L4/L5 4 months ago. I am back to work at feel great. Insuranced paid for everything so I was happy. I had the ENDOSKELETON from Titan-Spine and I still am amazed that I had no pain after surgery except for incisional pain. The ADR was placed from the front and the fusion from the back in just over 2 hours. I would do it again if needed. There are different types of artificial discs, get a proven brand that has enough sizing options to fit a womans body. Good Luck
  • I have had a Three Level ADR performed here in the USA. L-3 to S-1.
  • Thank you so much! Everyone I know has had successful results, but I've only known people who have had it done in Germany. Could you possibly tell me what city, what Dr., and /or how you found a doctor that had done the procedure enough times for you to feel comfortable? peace&love J
  • Thanks! Can you tell me where/how you found a Dr. that had done the procedure for multi-level disc replacement enough times for you to feel comfortable that was he was familiar enough with it? It's relatively new in the US, what type of disc did they use? Thank you! peace&love J
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    That was my goal, to hold out long enough to have multi level ADR. Mechanically it makes the most sense. But my back just wouldn't hold out. And I believe I have many more problems because of it. And now 4 levels fused with 4 more needing it!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Hello Jayleigh I had 2 level adr using the ProDisc done here in California 15 months ago and am now 100% pain free with no restrictions. If you fuse L5S1 when you are alredy having problems with the disc above,you will probably have to do something about that disc in the near future.That is why adr are so much better. Best of luck and feel free to ask me any questions
  • Did you have your procedure in California?
  • Was this a clinical trial or a standard procedure? I am pushing for a 2-level adr at L4/L5 and L3/L4 instead of a hybrid.
  • Is that where you had it done?

Doctors name and contact details removed by forum Moderator (paulgla). We do not permit publishing specific doctor's or institution names and contact details.
  • Hello!
    The ADR replacements (Prodisc was used) were a complete failure for me at two levels. I'm in more pain now than I ever was, and life has become unbearable. I've read that a lot of people are promised miracles by surgeons with the ADR, and I truly, truly wanted to be one of the success stories. I know some people have had success, but there are plenty who have had failure with it, and please, please, please REALLY look into the surgeon and know that you're taking a risk. My back pops all the time, keeps me awake at night, and I'm in pain every day. It's hard to walk, and I was always an active person, so this is killing me. This is very frustrating having to deal with this, and I'm hoping someone will be able to fix it in the near future.

I did contact the FDA and found out that the Prodisc wasn't approved at two levels. There are people with success, but just do your homework on all of it. I was referred to the person who did this surgery, and am disappointed with the results..and also found out that the surgeon wasn't quite as experienced as he professed to be. I don't want anyone to give up hope, but I don't want anyone to go through what I've been going through either. I would've rather kept the ruptured disks and taken painkillers than to have artificial disks that pop all the time and cause me to take painkillers every day. If only there was a crystal ball....just find someone who is really, really good, and look into the person. I was so clouded by the promises and the hope, and now life is a nightmare.