Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Negligent, lazy doctors

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Chronic Pain
I just read a post that totally ticked me off. It's about someone with some legitimate symptoms associated with cervical spinal issues (I've had those same symptoms) and a doctor and a NS who told her that her symptoms couldn't be caused by her cervical disc problems. It's such a crock!

It makes me wonder:
1. How many of you have had one doctor read an MRI and tell you "it's not your spine" only to go to another doctor and have them tell you that you need surgery?
2. How many of you have had the above happen and ended up having permanent damage because of the above negligent, lazy doctor?
3. How many of you have had your doc or NS tell you "you're young - you can handle the pain" or "you're too young for surgery, so you'll just have to suck it up"?

This is an issue near and dear to my heart I guess because I started having pain last April and was on the fast track to surgery by October because I had a fantastic team of doctors and surgeons. I wish everyone could be so lucky.

• You sound might upset and for good reason. I have had one Dr. who spent less than 2 minutes looking at my MRI. Less than 5 minutes in the room with me. He then recommended surgery and basically left me standing there shaking my head in disbelief. Then my Neurosurgeon says that he is WAY off base and about to fuse the wrong level and instead does a myelogram to confirm his suspicions then suggests that a Nerve Root Block would really cement his decision about the pain in my neck, shoulders and down my arm. Doctor #1 never even sat down when he came in the room. Barely read my charts. My Neuro came in. Sat down and explained it all to me. Now THAT'S my kind of doctor!
    OH WAIT! I forgot the original doctor who did my original ACDF who told me that all of my shoulder pain was in my head and that I needed to see a counsellor. He was close but not exactly right. The pain was definitely near my head but not in it. :)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    So many times we are afraid to talk to our doctors openly.
    First, they have earned their degree (and I do respect that)
    I think the bottom line for most folks here is to have one doctor that looks after or at least coordinates all of your progress.
    I am so fortunate to have a doctor that not only is a great doctor, but she is a great person.
    She always talked to me so that I could understand
    Finding the right doctor that will fit into your overall scheme is so imporant
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I posted a rant "under what next" i think in sciatica on Wednesday after being at Pain Clinic Day Surgery on Tuesday for Facet Joint, ganglain nerve blocks & a cordal ESI. The guy was good at his job, i'm almost 90% pain free (first time since August last year!) but when I tried to talk to him he basicaly blanked me out apart from saying might try fentionl patches soon & walked off!! GRRRRRRRRRRR!!. When ever I have previously seen my ortho surgeon he takes lots of time, explains things fully, lets me ask all the questions I want & when talking about MRI's or xrays etc he makes me move around to his side of the desk, sit in his seat & points things out on the computer screen & ensures I can see clearly & understand what he is refering to - very much chalk & cheese!! not fair
  • I asked the same question earlier - why are people told that some of the findings couldn't possibly be causing their pain. I posed the question to see if there is some reason why this is said - a medical reason - if anyone knew.

I have been told by my doc - who i do really like and trust 0- that the herniation at c56 and the bone spurs are not causing my pain. He is convinced that it is from the mess of muscles - not that. why would this be? Anyone know?

I am starting my 4th round of pt - i guess we will find out and he has changed my muscle med to an ms med - It will be interesting if he is correct....i myself am not convinced, but i have been wrong before.
  • My pcp told me my arm pain was stress. This is where it really gets strange. My right knee started to swell, he did an xray in the office and told me my knee was normal and that I needed to exercise. At that time I was doing 5 miles a day on a treadmill. When my knee more than doubled in size I took it on myself to see an ortho doctor, I had a meniscus tear and it has to be repaired. I fired that pcp and found a new one who took an xray of my neck when I told him about my arm pain, he sent me for an mri and then to an ortho spine surgeon. I was just about paralysed or any accident would have caused me to be. Thank God for my bad knee.

• PM docs that seem to be the worst are the ones who disconnect. I believe they treat so many hurting people that they decide to treat us like a procedure. They do not want to know us. They do not want to be connected to us, because if we still hurt they have failed. So, they decide you are an ESI, I am an SCS, That one over there is Sciatica! Once they suceed in this endeavor they pretty much suck as good doctors.

I don't think that sucking as good doctors matters much to some of them after a while. They have plenty more Mr and Mrs ESIs coming in tomorrow and they are busy! Never try and talk to one on "procedure day" He/she won't have time. They have the next injection in the room next door and their BMW is idling in the parking lot waiting to take them to their noon tee-off...

The doctors that do connect and talk to you are the good ones. Finding them can be very hard to do at times.

Gee, I sound bitter...Maybe I should see a doctor? =))
This discussion has been closed.