Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

TENS unit for cervies?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello cervical pain family. :H PM Dr gave me a TENS unit. I applied one to the back/rt side of my neck at about c/3 and one on my rt shoulder. Very little stimulation level ("3") caused my shoulder to twitch and jump, I felt slight pain at my neck. The manual doesn't have info about putting it up that high on one's neck, so I'm wondering about that. One day llater my pain and stiffness is off the charts. Two days later same, with bad sore throat. Is it a bug or is it the TENS unit caused this and should not be used for the neck? :??

• The muscle jumping is spasms. It could be that you have the tens to high or you are dehydrated. Try to turn it down and drink more fluids. See if that helps.

The sore throat is probably a bug.

Hope this helps! :)
  • Hi, I have a TENS unit and have used it for about 3 years everywhere from my low back to my neck. When I have turned mine up to where it's contracting my muscles I was extra sore too. The trick with it is to keep one set (if yours has 4 pads (2 red, 2 black), put one red and one black on your shoulder muscles and one set at the base of your neck. I keep mine at about 2 1/2 on my neck, a strong buzz, but not clinching me up. It's easy to do on your neck muscles. for 30 mins at a time, maybe twice a day. Mine was preset for 30 mins but my doctor said that was a good time. More than that will wear out the nerves and they'll rebel on you.

Here's a good website page on how to use a tens unit.

There's other's just google or search on "tens unit usage".

Good luck. I love mine. It really helps for a short period. I wish I could walk around with mine on low all the time. LOL.
  • i would not use a normal tens i would use a acticare unit i use mine all the time
    see www.acticare .com
  • PT used one on me during Therapy. It did absolutely nothing for my shoulder pain and spasms. But it wasn't the unit it was my body responding to a pinched nerve which a TENS unit was never going to fix. Just keep in mind here everyone's advice and DO NOT turn it up until your muscles are jumpy that would not be therapeutic for you. You want a low buzz. I actually wore one at work and kept it on most of the time but it still didn't help me. I hope it works for you. I know how you're struggling right now.