Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Could this be the beginning of Cauda Equina Syndrome?

Mmaem03MMmaem03 Posts: 53
Hi guys~ It's been a while since my last post....things have been going alright since then. Recently I've started working more hours at my job. I've been getting mild sciatica symptoms daily. This time around I've been experiencing (I'll apologize to our male readers right here) heating sensations and mild pain in my labia and perinial area. I've had fellings of pressure and being "not quite right" down there. The thing that is starting to worry me is, the other day without any notice I wet my pants. I had no idea it was coming. I was in total shock. My bladder didn't empty completely, just enough to need a change of clothes. Thankfully it hasn't happened again.
So now I'm wondering. I've read about CAS and I'm not clear if the loss of bladder control means completely or can it be "here and there". Also my legs aren't feeling weak as I've read about. They're sore and achy but not weak. I always have achiness around my bum. I think it's because my SI joints are off a bit due to one of my legs being an inch longer than the other. So what do ya think?

• Everything I've ever been told or read is to not take any chances when there is a possibility that you might have CES. It is one of the few reasons why emergency spine surgery is performed. Call your doctor tomorrow and describe exactly what is going on.

If you can't get in to see your doctor and you have another episode with your bladder or bowel, you might want to go to the emergency room just to be on the safe side. There are certain situations (such as when you lose feeling,lost control, etc.) where you need to get pressure off the nerve right away or it can cause permanent damage. The nerves that control the function of the bladder and bowels are very sensitive and can be easily damaged.

It probably isn't anything this urgent, but you want to find out for sure, just to be on the safe side.

Let us know how you're doing.
  • I had emergency surgery for this.. I went to the
    ER on 11/19.. because my already herniated disc
    really blew out...the OS dr on hand told
    me he wasnt gonna release me because of the
    damage that could happen. Luckily I reconized it
    and went to the ER that night.. I went totally
    numb and he diagosed me with acute CES

He preformed a double laminectomy/discectomy
    removed the huge herniation.

today I have to say that im about 90% back.
    I have NO effects of the CES. total control
    of bladder/bowel and sexual function. I was VERY
    VERY lucky.

Except for the numbness/weakness I still have in my left
    leg due to the L4 nerve so badly compressed. Im doin well
    He said it should all get back to normal in time
    Nerves really take that long time to heal.

In any case if u think u have ANY symptoms of CES
    get checked out ASAP

my 2 cents
  • Kenny~ your CES came on full force all at once? Before your disc blew out completely, do you remember any initial warning signs that things might be going wrong-getting worse? See, in the saddle areas I'm not numb (yet), I'm experiencing pain and some hot sensations. I was wondering if anyone else had similar symptoms. I'm so glad your surgery was a success. And be patient with that nerve healing.

Thanks for the replies. I'll email my NS's nurse. I had planned to anyway. I never want to take any chances when it comes to my spine health and the potential for severe pain to occur again. I haven't had any more bladder issues but I'm now having to take meds during the work day to get thru my shift. Achiness gets to the point I just want to lie down after only four hours of work. Things are progressing in a negative direction for sure.

Thanks again guys and if anyone else can share thier experiences with CES I'd be grateful.

• yes.. I knew I had herniations.. and when I when they
    got worse I felt "odd".. and then boom
    my whole saddle, groin and pelvis went numb
    and it coming and goin within the course of that evening
    it kept happening up until my surgery 2 days later..

I was very lucky...
  • can cause problems with bladder not saying its your problem but might ease your CES worries.
    Check with your doc
  • Hmmm....I didn't know this. Thanks. Most of the time my "sciatic" pain is concentrated from my thighs up. Symptoms below my thighs are less of a bother. That makes me think a lot of my pain is SI related.......