Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

found the right spot to post. Need answers on scs

ellineellin Posts: 188
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:29 AM in Pain Management
Oh my just posted and thought it was a new topic and just did a reply. Must be the meds. LOL

Ok to make it short Have had to many injections had rf's done and now it is time to do the scs have my appt. on the 17th of april and need some answers please.

Do they put you out for this? Both perm and trial?
Do you have to stay in the hospital?
How long do you need to be off work?
Why the pshy. eval?
What problems if any have happend?/ I heard someone got really short of breath.

I am so ready for this. I hope this works for me and I am thinking that I would love just love to have a big ole smile on my face rather than all the tears I have shed. Wow what a feeling that would be. Yes, I am scared for sure but, I am willing to try anything at this point to get out of pain even to just still have pain that I can handle would like 100% tho. LOL Please reply I thank you all and wish you all a pain free day.
advertisement

Comments

• ellin said:
    You're awake for the trial. For the permanent, the type of sedation depends on your doctor and the types of leads you require
    Depends on your doctor
    How long do you need to be off work?
    Depends on your doctor, the type of work you perform, and the type of leads. The general restrictions are no bending, lifting, or twisting for 6-8 weeks.
    Why the pshy. eval?
    1) To rule out any underlying mental issues that may be causing your pain or your inability to cope through less invasive means.

2) To assure you are emotionally and mentally prepared to live with a device permanently implanted in your body.

3) To insure you have realistic expectations for the pain control.
    What problems if any have happend?/ I heard someone got really short of breath.
    This is directly from the SCS brochure from my doctor's office -

1. Infection: Any time the skin is surgically manipulated there is a risk of infection. Sterile technique and antibiotics are used in an attempt to prevent infections. There are five possible types of infection:

a. Localized skin infection.

b. Central Nervous System infection - this can be in the form of meningitis, which can be deadly.

c. Epidural Infections - this can be in the form of an epidural abscess, which can cause pressure inside of the spine, causing compression of the spinal cord with subsequent paralysis. This would require an emergency surgery to decompress, and there are no guarantees that the patient would recover from the paralysis.

d. Discitis - this is an infection of the intervertebral discs. It occurs in about 1% of discography procedures. It is difficult to treat and it may lead to surgery.

e. Osteomyelitis - this is a bone infection, very rare, but also very difficult to treat due to poor blood flow to the bones. This may also require surgery to treat.

Note: In the case of implants, infections may require the removal of the implant.

2. Pain: All surgeries are expected to have a postoperative recovery period where you may hurt more than usual, until the affected tissue heals and recovers.

3. Damage to internal structures: Nerves and blood vessels can potentially be damaged. Please discuss your specific concerns with your physician.

4. Bleeding: Bleeding is more common if the patient is taking blood thinners such as aspirin, Coumadin, Ticlid, Plavix, etc., or if he/she have some genetic predisposition such as hemophilia. Bleeding into the spinal canal can cause compression of the spinal cord with subsequent paralysis. This would require an emergency surgery to decompress and there are no guarantees that the patient would recover from the paralysis.

5. Pneumothorax: Puncturing of a lung is a possibility, every time there is work done in the area of the chest or upper back.

6. Spinal headaches: They may occur with any procedures in the area of the spine.

7. Spinal fluid leaks: This may cause a persistent headache or accumulation of fluid in the pocket site. It may require surgery to correct.

8. Nerve damage: By working so close to the spinal cord, there is always a possibility of nerve damage which could be as serious as a permanent spinal cord injury with paralysis.

9. Death: Although rare, severe deadly allergic reactions known as ìAnaphylactic Reactionî can occur to any of the medications used.

10. Worsening of the symptoms: We can always make things worse.

11. Seromas: This is an accumulation of fluid at the surgical site, most commonly seen at the ìpocket siteî of the implant. It can last several weeks to months, and it may need to be drained several times, until it stops recurring. It also has the potential of getting infected, requiring removal of the Implant.

What are the chances of something like this happening?

Chances of any of this occurring are extremely low. By statistics, you have more of a chance of getting killed in a motor vehicle accident, while driving to the Hospital, than any of the above occurring. Nevertheless, you should be aware that they are possibilities.
  • I just finished a cervical placement trial of 8 days.

Bionic woman has posted very accurate replies.

My trial placement was done at my PMs office. Very similar setup to an ESI. It takes longer due to placing the lead properly, then the rep from the device company hooks to it to make sure the coverage is in the proper area. Once they get that correct or as close as possible they take you to a room and do the programming before giving you instructions and letting you go home with trial system. All done at PM office.

The permanent for my cervical precutaneous lead will be done same day surgery at my local doctor by my PM. Takes about an hour for two surgeons to do mine they tell me. Some placements require hospital stays etc,

I would suggest asking for as long a trial as you can arrange. some people know immediatly, some need to have a few days to get used to everything and let their back calm down from the placement of the trial leads. I was very happy I had a long trial. It let me get really used to the device and fully realize what it was doing. especially after it was gone :''(

My permanent one is scheduled for April 20. I am still waiting for insurance to approve it :SS
  • BotzBotz Central FloridaPosts: 223
    I can answer a few questions first hand as my trial started yesterday.

They did put me out to insert the leads for the trial

No mine was outpatient. About three hours at the hospital.

As far as being off work I can't say as I'm on short term disability.

The psych evaluation is all due to the insurance company to make sure you can handle the SCS.

I did not have any complications so far.

You owe it to yourself to at least try. So far so good for me. I'm actually thinking I should have done this sooner!

Art