Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Physical Therapy

libby724llibby724 Posts: 107
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have a question about Physical Therapy I am almost 10 weeks post op on a 3 level ACDF. Last time I saw the Dr he said maybe after my next visit on 4/9 he may have me start physical therapy.

My question is what is physical therapy going to do, My neck feels pretty strong, I have been out of the collar totally for over 2 weeks, my range of motion is pretty good. Any one with experience with having Physical Therapy I'd like to know what it was like, what they worked on and do you think it was worth it.

I have had physical therapy many times before surgery to try and get the strength back in my left arm but it never got better.

• I'm doing therapy now.I also had a 3levelACDF. I don't really know all of your problems physically so i can't tell you what they will work on with you.I do balancing exercises,as my spinal cord was flattened for a long time and i have balance issues.I also work my core muscles to strengthen them.I'm building up the muscles on both sides of my neck,also my arms and legs muscles are being worked on as i have weakness in all my extremeties.They do heat and ultra sound on my neck and back.,because of the car accident i also do a lot of stretches.I'm at therapy for 21/2 to 3hrs. three times a week.I'm sure your therapy won't be that involved.Everyones therapy is specific to there own problems.So where every you have weakness your therapist should try and help you strengthen.Maybe you think that your neck is strong,thats what i thought at first as well until i had situations where i needed my neck to be strong and i realized that it really wasn't so.
  • I didn't have any spinal cord issues but I do have some weakness in my left arm I am sure they wiill work on trying to get that back......back to the hand bike I am sure. I have tried this before and it didn't work but then again I had bone spurs that were pushing on my nerve that are no longer there so you never know it may work this time.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    than just one aspect. There is some core strengthening that will help your muscles surround your cervical area to be stronger and support the neck better.
    There is the stretching that will help in your movement, up/down, side to side.
    And there is the ultrasound, cold/heat therapy, massage that can even out any of the rough spots.
    Physical Therapy is very important after surgery. A good Therapist will know how to handle you and take you from shortly out of surgery to the point you can be on your own.
    Also remember, that it doesnt stop when Physical Therapy stops. Too many people stop then and wind up with problems later. Spinal Surgeries also include almost a life time awareness of what the problem was/is and what you need to do to ensure the problem does not resurface.
    So in many ways, Physical Therapy is not just the physical aspect, its the mental 'awarness' of what you need to do down the road.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com