Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pre Surgery Tests

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Monday I go for some pre-surgery tests at my Primary Doctor. The tests were requested by my neurosurgeon. I would imagine these are pretty standard: EKG, Chest X-Ray, and Blood Screening.

My 4 level laminectomy is Wed April 8th. I had a blood test a week ago. My primary care doctor had ordered me to have one because 4 weeks ago I had one showing I had anemia. I am happy to report this one shows the anemia is gone.

About a month and a half ago I had my first experience with gout. The urgent care doctor prescribed a non-steroidal antiinflammatory called Indomethacin. Evidently this is a very powerful med. I took it I think twice a day. What I had not noticed on the bottle was it was to be taken on an as needed basis. My primary care doctor thinks maybe I had some internal bleeding as a result of how often I took this.

Anyway, I'm glad the anemia is gone. My blood sugars are also under excellent control (A1c of 5.9). I have type 2 diabetes.

Do some of you others have these prescreenings for surgey I'll be having?

Ken GreyEagle

• Ken,
    The three test you mentioned where what I had done too.Patsy
  • I had the EKG and blood screening, but not a chest xray. It's interesting how much they test you before surgery but if you were in a car accident or something and needed immediate surgery nothing would be done. Just me thinking out loud here.

I did want to tell you that a couple of years ago, my hubby had a bad case of gout and we found out a natural cure. Cherries. Or cherry extract in pill form. And, drinking water, drinking water, drinking water. Since my hubby has been taking the cherry extract and drinking tons of water, his gout has never returned.

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hey Ken,
    Yes that is common for the tests you mentioned above, they try to prevent a
    more serious situation to happen while you are in surgery.

Good luck & take care,
  • Since you're diabetic, you won't make the mistake I made. On the way to the hospital for the tests, I stopped at Starbucks and got a coffee and scone. I munched the scone down before my blood test...oops. Day of admission the nurse asks "is your blood sugar usually this high?" :O Those Sbux scones are powerful things.
  • Oh my goodness! Lol. Wow! Yeah, I wasn't even thinking about stopping anywhere on the way for my tests. I usually leave so I get there just in time.

What I usually do is go to Starbucks or something like Denny's on the way home from the doctor visit. I hadn't really thought about doing something that would adversely affect the test results.

But hey! We're all human. We all make mistakes!

Thanks for sharinng!

Ken GreyEagle
  • All these tests are quite normal. Chest X-ray to make sure there's no pneumonia or other conditions that would compromise lung function, EKG to make sure heart rhythms are normal, CBC, PTT looking at (among other things) the blood's ability to oxygenate your tissues and to make sure you have normal clotting time, UA to check for sugar, proteinuria or any urinary tract infection, electrolytes to make sure all levels are within normal limits-low electrolyte levels can cause cardiac and other problems. History and physical are to make sure there are no other conditions that would impact either the surgery or recovery.
    Most of these tests would be done in the course of an annual physical-nothing at all to be concerned about.
  • Thanks GalleyGirl!

I didn't really know the specific reasons for some of these tests. You answered my questions! Yeah, it is good to know going into surgery my lungs and heart should be ok. My lungs for the breathing machine specifically.

I saw my neurosurgeon for the last time today before my surgery two weeks from tomorrow. He said the difficult part will be positioning me. I'm assuming this is because of my weight. I have lost some weight over the past 6 months but I'm still quite overweight. For a laminectomy my understanding is I'll be in a prone position. I have complete confidence in my surgeon and the surgical team.

I also have sleep apnea. My PCP told me to be sure to let my neurosurgeon and the anesthesiologist about this. It presents an extra challenge. I certainly will let them know. I'm thinking my PCP in her report to my surgeon will mention this too.

Thanks again! :)

Ken GreyEagle
  • I also have sleep apnea and use CPAP. I had ACDF with plating 7/08. I had to bring my CPAP to the hospital with me. The hospital had their engineer inspect it and I used it while in the hospital. It wasn't hard to fit over the collar. It is very important for your doctors to know about this as it can affect your care including medications. Don't be afraid to ask questions about anything - no question is silly. Good luck.