Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anybody esle riding the "roller coaster" of Sciatic Pain? So Frustrated!

deltaladyddeltalady Posts: 610
For the past two weeks I thought I had turned a corner and was finally gettting better after 6 months of pain..I had my 3 epidurals, saw the doc, was thinking about the plasma disc decompression procedure but started feeling better and was able to manage on tramadol and advil. THEN BAM! ~X( Wednesday this week not only did I have the back of thigh and foot pain but added to that is pain in my tailbone and hip. I've been lying around all this weekend trying to get the pain under control with ice, heat and meds. This feels like some sort of torture -- fake you into believing there is an end to the pain and then wham -- hit you even harder. :''( Sorry for the rant -- just beside myself with misery today. Anyone else had new symptoms appear after dealing with the same pain issues for months? Can't think of anything I did to bring this on. Your thoughts are appreciated! :)

• I have similar symptoms as you, and it has been a nightmare.

I had a PLIF done on L5/S1 in Jan. 2008. The pain I had before surgery disappeared almost immediately. 3 months after surgery I began having pain in my left buttocks, and left leg.

I have had 3 epidurals, and even a Botox injection into the piriformis muscle, to no avail.

I have been taking Tramadol, and Oxycodone for pain, but recently switched back to Hydrocodone because of the negative effects of Oxycodone.

I have been on Hydrocodone for over a year now, and I am beginning to worry that it is affecting me mentally.

The only relief I have received from the pain is from massage therapy. I do not get total relief, but enough that I can function somewhat normally. My Therapist uses Deep Tissue Massage, or as he calls it, Neuro-muscular massage.

I don't feel that all of my pain is muscular caused. I am still going for another epidural series. I do get a lot of relief after the massage, but I still have pain in a day or so.

I also have been doing stretching exercises, and that helps some. I have found that riding a bicycle helps with the pain in the buttocks.

I wish you good luck in your search for pain relief, and to everyone here that is suffering.

Good Luck,

• Thanks for your thoughts on the subject Robert. I have over the past six months been to the chiropracter, physical therapy and massage therapist to try and support a healing of the herniation. I went to my massage therapist about three weeks ago and she did the "deep tissue" on my left hip, leg and foot and I could barely tolerate it -- my muscles and ligaments where so tight probably from walking favoring the left leg (due to sciatic pain). I did go to the chiropractor yesterday and told him my tale of woe -- he's a compassionate man and listens and tries to help but he can only do so much. At least I know from experience that although I'm HURTING and MISERABLE today -- at some point, this flare will subside to a manageable pain level -- it's just the toughing it out part..... I'll try riding my bicycle when I'm feeling a little better.. Good luck to you too in your quest to be pain free. THANK YOU!
  • For the past month, I've been having terrible sciatica in my left buttock, hip and back of thigh. One wrong turn and BAM - excrutiating pain. I seem to wake up with it every morning but it sometimes goes away if I sit for a long period of time.

I can't go and get it checked, however, as I've been laid off and don't have the insurance that would allow me to.

I don't have any answers, but wanted to tell you that I have this issue too.

• Hello Deltalady,
    I am so sorry for your suffering. Not that it makes it any better or easier, but you are not alone. I've had 5 epidurals, chiro treatments, and meds. On 3/2/09 I had a discectomy/laminectomy L5-S1. Pain free aside from surgical sight until 3/13/09. Then...whamo! Now I'm on my 2nd pack of steroids and have achieved some relief. I wish it would just go away, although thankfully it isn't nearly as bad as it was pre-surgery. I wish you very well.
  • My sciatica pain changes also. There were times during PT that I was 95% pain free, then all of a sudden it came back and bad. I got an epidural steroid injection a month ago and the pain was much worse after, I now get sciatica down to my ankle instead of just my knee and about a week and half ago I started getting buring sensations in my thigh which I never had before. Does anyone know if that is a sign of something - when the way they sciatica pain feels starts to change?

I asked my Dr. about the flareups and he said he his patients have told him that and he is not sure what causes it.
  • I may have some helpful insight. I have a bulging disc between L3 and L4 on the left side. As a result, I have been dealing with scitica pain down into my left foot and muscle atrophy into my leg for a year now. I have tried nearly everything short of surgery to no avail. This includes medication, physical therapy, Mc kenzie exercises, spinal decompression, massage therapy, etc., you get the picture.

In my case I know that my nerve is still and always has been pinched by my disc. And I also know that I have on many (way too many) occasions reinjured myself through therapy, execise, swimming or lifting. Each time that happens I have to search my memory from the previous day or two (because it usually takes two days for the pain to arrive) to understand what I did wrong and try not to repeat it.

Belive me it is no way to live, i.e., always being afraid of what you do physically, but it sure beats cronic sciatica if you can avoid it.

To christine234 the burining In my thigh is (I believe)
    related to nerve damage from the being pinched.
  • Sorry I dont have any answers but I wanted to tell you that Im in the same boat I have SO much pain in my leg Im sorry you are going through this. I wouldnt wish this pain on anyone. Hope your feelin better soon!
  • I had a successful surgery for my herniation last june, but i know the pain you are going through. I went through 2 years of pain before i got diagnosed and had surgery.

The one thing i found on these boards which helped IMMENSELY for me was Lidoderm patches. You put this patch on your back over your herniated disc area and it really helped relieve my knee/leg pain that was caused by my disk.. Ask your doctor? perhaps it can give you some relief too.