Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

K61KK61 Posts: 20
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Pain Medications

I was taking 200mg tramadol, 300mg lyrica, and 1600mg
daypro daily and it was working fairly well. I had to stop taking daypro due to blood pressure issues. I now take lisinopril 20mg daily for high blood pressure which means no more nsaids. The neurologist put me on cymbalta along with my remaining meds. I know this is an antidepressent but he said it works on nerve pain also.
Anyone have any experience with this drug.

C4-C6 fusion w/plate, lumbar stenosis L4-5 probable
permanent cod damage

• Hi K61 Part of my PM does include Cymbalta. I am on what I have been told the max 120/mg /day for the past 16mo. I have to say in my case I have no side effects I take 1 before bed and 1 in the morning. I think it is benificial for my nerve pain and at one point my PM reduced the dose and I could feel my pain in my legs increasing so we went back up. i also take Lyrica 150mg/day along with me pain meds and at this point I have pretty stable pain levels. Your doc can explain the side effects as well as the benifits associated with this drug. Everyone is different with these meds so you may or may not have any real relief but good luck with your pain management and god bless Jim
  • I used it for about 8 weeks last year. it didnt help my nerve pain and I had side effects such as dizzyness. Shouldnt put to much weight into how it worked with me because Ive also taken neurontin, lyrica, and tegrotol which are supposed to help nerve pain and they didnt help me even a little bit. It probably depends on the severity of the nerve pain or maybe the kind of nerve pain. I take elavil at a high dose and it doesnt help my nerve pain much either but it does help me to fall asleep.
  • No side effects on Cymbalta....but it's NEVER helped with my pain. Ever. I didn't have a choice though about taking it...as everyone decided when I was first seen with the joint pain that it was psyco-sematic pain...well, the first 2 jerks I saw, my RD and the idiot PM Dr I used to see. It wasn't until I saw a Rheumy at a world-reknowned teaching hospital that it started coming out that it was more than arthritis causing my pain.

She said I didn't need the cymbalta, but until now I've stayed on it (just over 2 years now), because I have struggled alot with depression. It's pretty rough to come to terms with knowing this pain will NEVER GO AWAY. They can treat my RA....but the two other conditions I have...there's no treatment for them. Heck, one wasn't even recognized in the US as an actual CONDITION until the past 10yrs

I would say....try it, see if it helps, and if it doesn't? Perhaps ask to be placed on a less expensive anti-depressant. Zoloft works much in the same way...it's just cheaper. (we went with Cymbalta cause the Dr I saw pushed name brands....I know that NOW....I didn't then!) I do say try it...you never know if it'll help.

Keep in mind...IIRC, Cymbalta takes about 1-2 weeks to build up enough in your system to make an actual difference (I don't remember the exact amount of time, sorry!!)

• I have been on it for about 2 weeks and I have to say I think it helping. I mean it's no miracle drug, but it seems to help.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Michael is right , Look it up on askapatient.com. I took it for about 2 yrs. with varied doses for nerve pain and depression. With minimal benefits. And about 1 yr. + trying to get off of it!
    You see, most of the side effects start happening over time, more than right away. and it is a drug that is very hard to with- draw from. Yes, I did say withdraw. Terrible side effects! Drug from hell! Look up patient reviews.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I have recently been prescribed cymbalta and it's been working really well. I had insomnia the first few nights, but I changed the time I take it at and it is really helping. It's a great non-narcotic treatment which is a godsend, as I can't take narcotics.