Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe back and leg pain after 2 surgeries!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi. My name is Nichole. I am 39 years old and have suffered with chronic back pain for over 8 years now. I have moderate to severe lumbar scoliosis, degenerative disc disease, spondylothesis, and radioculapathy. I have had 2 spinal fusions, the first was Jan 9, 2008 and was a TLIF at L4-5, and L5-S1. I have had a terrible year struggling to recover and continued to be in pain. One level of the fusion took, but the other didn't. On Feb 23, 2009, I underwent the revision surgery, this time the ALIF. I am suffering so much with the pain now not only in my back but in my abdomen area. I continue to have terrible pain in my legs, mostly my right leg and occassionally my left. Alot of my pain also appears to be coming from my pelvic bone on the left and right side of my butt area. It is very tender to even touch that area. I struggle to walk at night after being up on my feet during the day. I have to use my walker or cane to assist me, particularly if I lay down. I am so discouraged I don't know what to do. I cry alot because I hurt so much and feel so guilty for my two children who are 10 and 14. My husband is active duty and is away alot. Any advice would be appreciated or if anyone has experienced this I wouldn't feel so alone. Nothing ever seems to make it stop hurting, nothing. Pain meds only take the edge off, and who wants to live on pain medications? My neurosurgeon wants me to strongly consider the spinal cord stimulator after 6 more weeks of healing...I'm just really torn about that. It's another procedure, well, actually another 2 procedures. One for the temporary placement, and one for the permanent placement. I just don't want to go through that and the expense of it if it's not going to work. Thank you for reading my story and offering any advice.

• I hope that you can find some way to get those pain levels down. There are alot of people on this board that can give you some great advice and encouragement. I wish I could help you but I haven't had any experiences that would benefit your situation. You're not alone though. Hang in there!
  • Hi Nicole, we have so much in common. I had a 2 level TLIF and laminectomy on L4-S1 last summer, and this happened after a microdiscectomy that didn't help. Like you I suffer with chronic back pain and permanent nerve damage on one leg with occasional symptoms on the other. If it weren't for all the meds I'm on I wouldn't function at all. I have kids that are 12 and 15 and they have missed out a lot because I can't be like other moms. No mall hopping, no amusement parks, school functions, etc. It is so hard when you can't sit, stand, walk for long without worsening pain. I'm sorry your husband can't be there with you all the time but his sacrifice is always appreciated and never forgotten. My doctors also want me to have a morphine pump put for my chronic pain and also the scar tissue that has built up. Anyway, I wish there was something else to say to make things better, but I do hope you know that you're not alone anymore. Many of us go through this and try to help others cope. We look forward to hearing from you. Take care
  • Hey...I just wanted to say thank you for your response. I find myself so frustrated all the time. My children and my husband have been through so much and sometimes that burden is so much for them to bare. I am able to keep up with them especially when I take my medication, I just hate them seeing me this way especially at night. I don't want my children's main memory of their mother being that her back hurt her all the time, ya know? It's the down time that I have right now during the recovery from my most recent surgery that I find myself the most frustrated and upset. I somehow pull myself together for when the kids get home from school and try to make their evenings and weekends as enjoyable as humanly possible. My family, parents and my sister, just don't understand the pain and how it affects you as a person, although they are as supportive as they can be with the knowledge that they have. I am so sorry for your pain and suffering. I truly can relate and I think it does help us to have other people who know what we go through. Thank you for that.