Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain psychologist

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Pain Management
Does anyone out there know what type of doctor this is ? As my P.m. was once considering sending me to doc for evaluation... Thank you for any feedback !

• I know!
    As luck would have it, I have just returned from a review with my pain Dr., who has diagnosed my neck and shoulder pain as being muscle related, not spinal. And I know he's right.
    I've been looking at my bad pain episodes to see what the triggers were, and it seems to me that most are caused by my stress reaction to something.
    It slowly boils up over a day or so and then I get a really bad tension headache that can also affect the shoulders. It can also trigger occipital neuralgia.
    So my treatment now is remedial massage and some stretches/ exercises.
    Over 2-3 months, my body should have re-tuned itself and hopefully be pain free.
    I mentioned this to him and said that I have to learn how to control my reactions to things to keep my stress levels low. So he said I need to learn how to relax.
    He gave me a brochure for a Clinical Psychologist. One of the many areas covered is one called Pain Management.
    So there it is!
    It says: By assisting clients to develop and implement psychological skills and strategies, they are encouraged toward a self management approach for limiting the extent to which pain interferes with their lives.
    How coincidental that you should ask this question on the very day I was given the answer!!!
  • all i know is psychologist cant prescibe meds so if ur in aa lot of pain and require pain meds u wont get them from him, ur gona need a different dr for that.
  • was a life saver for me...he took me throught the steps toprepare for this life of daily pain.

of greiving for the life i once had, and the anger over having to give it up through no fault of my own.

to letting me know that it was ok to cry once and a while....i could show emotion, i did not always hae to be SO DAMN STRONG ALL THE TIME!

to look for the little bright lights along the way to be my guide..they are harder to see, and you can only find them if you slow down, and take the time to look for them.

a psychologist can be very key in your progress/recovery...i would strongly suggest at least meeting with him to see if it is a fit for you.
  • I asked around here, trying to find one and got nowhere.
    If you have that option I would recommend using it to see if it works and helps you.

Remember to keep your other connections open if you need meds. I think you need a Psychiatrist to write scripts the psychologist can't do that for you.
  • Did he mention anything about a SCS I had to see my Pain clinincs Psychologist for determining if i was a candidate for an SCS, Pain Pump. This for me was not a big deal he just asked alot of questions about my moods my life growing up to the present 53 yearb old that I am. So that was my meeting with him. Also he has some people take an EMPI not sure if thats how you spell it but I have taken that test in the past. Good Luck with your pain and God Bless
  • Thanks to all that responded ! I had a two level ACDF 10--09-08. I have been with Pain Management doc for over a year now.... I just went back to work six days ago and have held up so far ! I just have to remember to take it slow and easy, as in the past it was all out leave it on the floor.(WORK)... Anyway again thank you for all the feeedback ! Have a GREAT day !