Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

T-12 L-1 surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello people,
just looking to see if anyone has insight on T-12 L-1 Herniated Calcified Disc surgery. Suppose to be big hairy-scary. I'm having trouble finding a neurosurgeon with the expertise to do the op.

Thank-you to all who reply!

• Are you in the U.S. and if so, what part of the country?
  • i need a surgery in this area, and ive just had a surgery to fuse L5 to S1, i wanted my surgeon to do the two together, as i didnt realise how big a job the L1 surgery would be.

The problem is that at T12/L1 the spinal cord is present, so it isnt possible to go in through the back for fear of something going wrong.

My surgeon isnt worried about doing the surgery at all, just wouldnt do it at the same time. He tells me that i have to have a rib removed for access as he has to go in through the side, and as i need a corpectomy (removal of vertebrae) together with 2 discs it is a more difficult surgery than my last one. We are hoping that i get enough releif with my fusion to hold off this surgery for a while.

The spinal cord ends after L1 and from there down its only nerves, so the last surgery i had was in through the back.

If my surgeon was afraid to do any surgery, i wouldnt trust him to do anything to be honest, mine is a neurosurgeon, if that makes any difference