Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The Roller Coaster Ride - to a person in Chronic Pain

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Spine-Health Announcements
Anyone that has been dealing with Chronic pain understand the phrases Good or Bad Days so much, because they have lived it.
I like to refer to this as the Roller Coaster Ride

There are times when things look oh so good; we are laughing, playing and nothing is getting in our ways. But then we also know all to well about those dark days, when nothing is right and all we are do is suffer.
The thing that is responsible for this Roller Coaster ride is the BEAST This animal was never invited, it never asked to join in the family, but it just finds its way into your house and making it his own domain.

The Beast is a selfish being , doesnt care about anyone regardless of age, race, creed or whatever. All it thinks about it is itself. Now, it is because of this Beast, that there are times when people living with Chronic pain go on this Up/Down/Up/Down cycle.
There are days we are feeling pretty good, and then there are days when everything seems to be collapsing around us.

That is a big question. I think its easier to understand why we have bad days. It could be the result of overdoing something, not paying attention to what we need to, missing medications and so much more.

But its the good ones... What did we do right? Can we bottle this and save it for another day?

Many times there is no rhyme or reason behind all of this.

Thats when I call it the BEAST. That could be the one explanation on how on Monday we are doing ok, Tuesday through Thursday is hell and then on Friday we are feeling better again.
Its a game for the BEAST, testing our strength, testing our will power and more.
I've been studying this BEAST for over 30 years now, it has taken me on more Roller Coaster rides then 5,000 people going through Disneyworld in a week can see.

Some day, I will learn how to understand this BEAST, because I really believe that once you fully understand it, it will be so much easier to flush it out of your life and with that goes those roller coaster rides. Till then we all have to learn how to live with it.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• This beast (chronic pain) takes over our lives and domineers everything we try to do. Sometimes it can lay a little dormant, allowing you to take a break for a while- and then it strikes with no warning or compassion.

How do we tame this beast? That's a good question but we can do basic things like strictly follow medicine regimens, keep up with all your doctor appts, and surround yourself with supportive family and friends. This won't stop the rollercoaster ride, but maybe it will help us gain some kind of control over chronic pain and hopefully help us to stay on top of it.
  • I like the way you term "Chronic Pain" as beast. I have my fair share of it.

Quite the opposite than most, when the beast comes, I focus my energy to the treadmill. I find the more I walk the beast will be kept in place in its cage. It is not easy if this beast is standing right in front of me. But the body learns the signals that it is coming, that's when I stop everything and just walk. At times, the beast challenge me and mentally I walk through it. After some 15 minutes walk, I could relax again. If I lay or sit around, the beast slowly reminds me that it is there. The key I learned so far is to keep busy but don't over work. I think by walking, my body will try to build its bullet to shut the "beast".

• Hey Adam, I see you are new. Welcome to spine-health. You will love it and we will collectively help you find other ways to calm your "beast".

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • The "beast" shows himself all too often in my life. It seems like the pain is always there, but when I give in to, not only does my pain become intolerable, but I become intolerable to those around. I am a much happier person when I cope better. I don't know how to get rid of pain completely, and today is one of those high pain days where the beast just won't leave. But I will continue to practice simple relaxation tips and try to distract myself, and eventually the beast will go back to sleep for a while.

Ron, that was a great analogy. If anyone wants to know what a beast looks like, I could describe it quite well, lol.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • The beast or(chronic pain) unfortunately is a close enemy to me. Day after day I feel pain from a 4 - 7 on the pain scale. whether the back or mostly the leg is acting up. I have to go for another ultrasound & xray of the knee because of the pain. I can't wait for the NeuroSurgeon's appt. after 2 Orthos said I wasn't a candidate for surgery. I thought a decompression surgery would've helped more than over a year unable to work and on meds. I'm going for my 5th epidural and 3rd set of facet joint injections April 4th. It's more like the haunted house ride than a roller coaster sometimes scary to the bone. Hang in everyone. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thank you Cindy for the warm welcome. This is a nice place for chronic sufferers like us to unwind, support and help each other. I probably learn more as I look around.
  • It is possible to push the pain to the side. Other days when even an ounce of fatigue is present, the pain pushes back.

• Why are some days better than other's is a good question.Blame it on the BEAST sound good as any.
    What you wrote sounds alot like my life.I've been saying,"I'am in constant pain with brief moments of relief.
    That was nicely put Ron.
  • For me that stupid beast is always howling and rattling my door wanting in. Some days I can keep hem at bay and some days he charges in no matter how I fight hem.
    But he is always out there growling and howling.
    Some night he breaks in and pokes me until I wake up, then demands I set up with hem the rest of the night!!
    Yes it's a roller coaster ride Ron. And not a fun one.
    Patsy W
  • I always thought the BEAST was my mother-in-law :D
  • I'm lucky to have mostly good days, but when the bad ones come I just want to curl up and hide. I find it hard to explain to my family that what was fine to do yesterday I can't do today. The pain is on the inside where only I can feel it.

When we get these bad days it's very important to let those around us know what is going on. I also find that light exercize helps and that sitting around just prolongs it but this can send mixed signals to others. Pacing yourself is important - remember the rabbit and the turtle - slow and steady wins the race.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    I really wish you could learn to understand the BEAST, And if you do please tell me immediately. Because I'm tired of the roller coaster ride.
    If I knew where he lived, I'd burn his house down! But I'm afraid he lives in me! So that may not work!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Ron,
    What a great thread. Thank you so much for bringing it up again. I needed it. I am trying to understand this thing called the "Beast" and come to terms with it.

I am reaching a point where I realize I must find a balance between trying to find the cure for what is causing the "Beast" and controling it. Am I the only one that struggles with this concept?

Just when I think I have come to grips with the "Beast" in one area of my spine it moves to another.

I have to tell you I never did see the thrill in Roller Coasters even as a kid. Never did chose to ride them, even back then when it was the cool thing to do! It appears now I have little choice.
  • it's more like the dodgems ride. You feel bruised and battered with lots of electric shocks and young kids saying "hurry up you old bugger!".

• I just found this thread-this morning I was having one of my"I am so tired of this %^&**!I have had 2 fusions within 2 years and sometimes I wonder if this is what is in store for me.I usually work through it,but the evil Beast visits me sometimes too.
  • Glad you guys are still here for education and support. Great article which certainly answers my question of "what the heck is going on?".

Me...car accident Oct 2010 (L3/L4, T5/T6) after "recovering" (enough) from Jun 2007 L3/L4 bulge.

Just wanted to let you know you're very appreciated!!

• After waking up the other day, I was actually pain free. My mind said "finally, I'm cured!" Then I got out of bed and was blasted by the blasted beast.
    Ellen T Klock
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    but what does your post have to do with roller coaster rids?
    The Members on this site spend a lot of time reading threads and posts, so, when something doesnt fit, we have to question why?
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com