Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Muscle Deterioration

Serenity6SSerenity6 Posts: 123
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Here lately I think that I Have noticed that the muscles in my right arm are smaller and weaker than my left. (I am right handed.) If I squeeze on the muscle it also shoots a pain down my arm.

Is common with cervical disc degeneration? has any of you experienced this?

• Hi there.

Yes, I lost some muscle mass in my left arm and my left trapazoid was not working because I could barely use my left arm for a while before surgery.

It's coming back, though, because I had surgery pretty quickly after my symptoms hit.

You are going to see a neuro soon about surgery, aren't you? If you end up having surgery, you'll probably do PT afterward to help out that right arm and possibly some other things that you don't know have been affected.

• The neruosurgeon said that I wasn't at surgery stage yet, but I would have to eventually have surgery. I feel like my symptoms has progressed dramatically in the last month. I just don't know if I could handle this for a couple of more years. I constantly think about it because I hurt all the time.

I know the people aroung me think that I am whinny, but I have been dealing with this pain for about a year and a half or more. The only medication that I get is Tramadol and Zanaflex. Neither of them do anything for me.

My husband was actually sensitive to my fealings last night. He helped me put on my tens unit and before I went to bed I asked him to help me take it off. he told me to leave it on and when he went to bed he would take it off. I thought that was sweet because he actually acknowledged that I needed it. To me that is a big breakthrough with him and him knowing that I am in pain. =D>
  • if you have muscle loss you need to get that taken care of the longer it is like that the more likely you are to have nerve damage , I would get in touch with your doctor soon it can be serious . good luck
  • I didn't know that in addition to your pain that you were having problems with support at home. I'm sorry about that but glad that there was a breakthrough. I hope he continues that support because it makes it so much harder to deal with everything if your main support system isn't there.

I don't understand why you're not a surgical candidate. Why does your neuro say that? I experienced the same symptoms as you and my neuro said we'd better get it done. He put it like this - he said it's not a matter of if you have surgery but when. He said that we could keep putting bandaids on the problem, but it's never going to get better. I decided right then to have the surgery. Of course it helped that he told me if I had the surgery in Oct. he'd have me back on the golf course in April. LOL

• for your response. I hope that the doctors can see the changes. I know my body and I can tell the difference.

Thanks for wishing me good luck! :)
  • central disc protrusions in my c/3, c/4, and c/6. Anterior disk protrusions with anterior deformity of the c/5 and c7/T1. My T1 is the worst. The radiologists say there is no spinal stenosis, but my neuro showed me that there was some. It did not look extremly bad, but apparently it is bad enough to cause all this pain and sleepless nights.

I am happy that he finally acknowledged it too! :D