Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

WendeWWende Posts: 51
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi for those who haven't met me my name is Wende I have been having problems with my lumbar spine. Started with sciatica which started almost 14 yrs ago now. I have been having issues off and on since that first flare with it coming and going every couple yrs since. Last may I woke up one morning with some tailbone pain/burning and have had that pain every morning since then. In june of 08 I started with some back spasms which sent me to ER. I couldnt walk sit or stand the pain was so bad. My legs felt like they weren't connected, my hips were tight and burning. The Er doc ordered xrays gave me a loratab and methocarbam and said he felt i had spondylosis even pointed it out in xray but when i got the report it said everything was normal. After a week of not being able to do anything except lay in bed. Would cry when i had to walk or when i would try to sit up or go to the bathroom cuz i couldnt get up from sitting on the toilet. My pcp sent me for an mri. The worst of these symptoms lasted until the beginning of August longest i have ever had any problems
The impression said
left paracentral disc herniation with some inferior extrusion of the nucleus pulpuous at level l5 s/1 with compromise of the left pernieural fat planes and displacement of the left exiting nerve root. Early facet joint arthropathy and mild acquired ap central spinal stenosis.
moderate diffuse bulging of the annulus at the l4/5 level with compromise of the thecal sac and neural foramina. Early facet joint arthropathy.
slight circumferential bulging of the annulus at the l 3/4 level.
abnormal diminished signal involving the l4/5 and the l5/ s1 discs representing multi level dessication.
subtle retrolisthesis of l5 in relationship to s1 by approximately 2 mm.
I tried making my own conservative care such as going to chiropractor etc.. And from a previous event a few yrs ago, I already knew how to do the pt exercises so I was doing them on my own with no relief.
I made my own appt with the NS who wanted to do a microdisectomy in august of 08 but i was scared about it. I overslept through surgery doctor wouldnt see me again after that. It took until sept for major symptoms to go away. But, I have had 3 flares since then.
I was deeply hoping that this would go away on its own without surgical intervention. So instead of me having this problem it has been happening every couple months since June. This past flare a made an appt. with an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in the spine the appt. is on may 12th and i am hoping that i can get some issues resolved. whatever he decides is what i will do now. no more messing around i cant stand to feel like this.
It is not that it always hurts, it is that certain things do to things to me, that I cant manage to do simple things like mop do laundry etc.. or even go to work now without pain if I do too much. I also do not have symptoms everyday except foot numbness, tailbone pain and hip or leg pain and my butt cheek always hurts also. So I wouldnt say that I am disabled entirely by this pain. For the most part I only takes the meds when I cant function and try really hard just to do conservative things, ice tylenol arthritis or exedrin back and body and just lay down when i cant take it anymore. I just want to be able to go to work.
Just wanted to share my story as a new member.

• Bummer on the intermittent pain. Ime like you, I try to only medicate when necessary, and as for laying down? I do that in lab here in school, kinda freaks people out though
    Be careful in what ya do and welcome to spine health!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Yeah I had an flare up in 2004 and the one in 2008 where I had to lay on the floor in my office or at the cashiers counter because I couldn't sit down and couldn't run back and forth from office to front desk anymore. Now if I can't sit at work I lay on the bench in the aisle or just go home. This sucks. This flare up I haven't been work in almost 4 weeks now. Its very unnerving.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. have you tried any of the nerve pain medications available? :? talk to your doctor. :-C they can work wonders. :D good luck as you see pain relief! Jenny :)
  • Hi I went to see my pcp today. I explained my whole situation to them. She prescribed me 100mg neurontin 3 x a day plus robaxin and my darvocet to take as a regimental cocktail. Also said I should make another appointment with the NS. So they did that for me and I have to go see him on April 8th. I am not gonna cancel the appt. with the OS until after I see what the NS has to say. My doctor says the herniations dont just go away on their own the pain may subside but, comes out in other ways. She said hip pain isnt arthritis its from my spine. I told her was hoping I would get better without being seen or without it being fixed. She said you have too much radicular pain to go on without addressing the unlying issue.
    So I will go bk and see the NS.