Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic pain occur during driving

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Chronic Pain
Driving is something that we cannot avoid to. We go to doctors and PT appointments all the time, and sometimes we just have to drive ourselves there, even when on narcotics. Say I was driving in the 3 lane of a 5 lane freeway, and suddenly chronic pain arise, the leg of all things became stiff, and pain (the beast) shoots up to the spine, my questions are:

What will you do? Do you take medication before you drive to prevent this from happening? Or you don't take medication so that you have a clear head to drive? You can't move and the car is still rolling, how can we do?
How can we prepare ourselves from situation like this?

For me, I programmed my car phone with a hit of a button for 911 (hey, one button is better than 3 buttons). If possible, I will drive to the bend, if not I'll have to flag the emergency lights and turn off the car keys.

But really, has anyone has stories to tell if this has happen to them?

• There's any chance of that happening, I would take a cab or get a ride. A little common sense can go a long way. Chronic pain is no excuse for being stupid.

• insurance companies provide transportation to patients to and from any and all medical related appointments...including trips to the pharmacy to pick up refills. call your customer service number on the back of the caard to see if you qualify for such a service.

this has been my primary mode of transportation since applying for handicap parking tag, and having stopped driving months prior due to lack of feeling in my legs, the state aggreed with my decision, and suspended my licence until "such a time as i can provide proof that i can safely operate a motor vehicle".

your livelyhood is not the only concern here....it is the life of every other person around you on the road that day.
    if you are well enough to drive, then great! but if you have doubts....
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    that basically covers your same question.
    Take a look at:
    Driving while on Narcotics
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • If one has a locking condition of the leg such as seems to be described, well, that person should not be endangering their own and many other peoples lives.

Cut it out, till this condition does not exist.

• I placed this question out to chronic sufferers because of their pain and daily use on narcotics. Thanks Ron, for pointing out the link to an interesting discussion.

I am lucky enough that I don't have chornic pain anymore, not to the extend of legs couldn't move. I used to be this way, and I remembered what protective measures I did to prevent myself from getting into serious problems on the road.

Thank you for all who input.
This discussion has been closed.