Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cauda equine syndrome

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I have had low back/sciaticic pain for a couple of years ever since a really bad fall down the stairs. In the past year, since my acdf on C6/7, the pain and numbness have worsened and I cannot walk without a limp.

I have constant pain from my back to my feet, calfs and hip, and cannot feel my bum, backs of legs or toes. I have no reflexes at all, patella or achilles in either leg, and I have had some bladder problems - urinary urgency and not knowing when I have finished (apologies)

MRI and EMG show L5 bulge and annular tear which EMG confirmed has L5 root compression with mild/moderate damage

Over this past week the pain has worsened, and if I stand for too long (more than a couple of minutes) my legs start to shake. I can't stand up without holding onto something and the pain nearly has me in tears. I'm only 48

I am struggling at work as am determined not to be signed off after missing so much last year due to my cervical surgery

I am getting really worried now that this could be the beginning of CES and that one day I won't be able to stand at all - am i worried over nothing?

• Have you been recommended for surgery? I don't know the signs of CES, but your symptoms seem worrisome. I have had pain that caused me to cry, so you are not alone. My pain originates form L5 S1. I had to get microdiscectomy for the pain in my right leg (buttock and down to my ankle).

Take care!